1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the force of a shockwave expanding 100 fps in fluid

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    I posted a few days ago . . . I think the point of my question has been missed. It was generally about ballistics. I elected not to go into any specifics because this is a physics forum not the FiringLine forum.

So, I will specify and simplify . . .

Here is my question. If a sphere is traveling at 1000 fps, according to my data, when it hits a fluid-like medium, (ballistics gel) the shock wave that it imparts on that medium is 1/10 the velocity of the actual projectile. (I acquired this information from a very reputable source.)

My question is simply this: what is the force (in pounds per square inch) of a fluid shock wave traveling at 100 fps.

Also: for the more advanced math expert (if it is at all possible) I would also like to know how quickly such a shock wave would degrade at about 1' from the center of impact.

Can anyone out there help me with this???

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted