Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the force of a shockwave expanding 100 fps in fluid

1. Feb 22, 2008 #1
    I posted a few days ago . . . I think the point of my question has been missed. It was generally about ballistics. I elected not to go into any specifics because this is a physics forum not the FiringLine forum.

So, I will specify and simplify . . .

Here is my question. If a sphere is traveling at 1000 fps, according to my data, when it hits a fluid-like medium, (ballistics gel) the shock wave that it imparts on that medium is 1/10 the velocity of the actual projectile. (I acquired this information from a very reputable source.)

My question is simply this: what is the force (in pounds per square inch) of a fluid shock wave traveling at 100 fps.

Also: for the more advanced math expert (if it is at all possible) I would also like to know how quickly such a shock wave would degrade at about 1' from the center of impact.

Can anyone out there help me with this???

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted