1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What is the formula 1/(dS/dE)>>0 and how does it apply?

1. Feb 19, 2017 #1
    I know that it relates to thermodynamics and possibly entropy? It would be greatly appreciated if someone could explain what the formula is about and how it applies to physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2017 #2
    This looks more like a criterion (or criteria if you wish). Note that you can rewrite the left hand side as dE/dS. It looks familiar but I cannot put my finger on it. It is essentially saying "when the rate of change of E with respect to S is much greater than 0".

4. Dec 9, 2017 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##1/(\partial S/\partial E)## with entropy ##S## and energy ##E## is the definition of temperature (I've replaced the absolute derivative ##d/dx## with the partial derivative ##\partial/\partial x## because the entropy is a function of several variables; here, we're assuming constant volume ##V## and particle number ##N_i##). So the condition implies a relatively high temperature, i.e., a high-temperature limit.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted