What is the frequency for a period of 60 microseconds?

• Thread starter taho2720
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation is about a first year electrical engineering student struggling with understanding concepts and completing homework. The student's teacher assigned a homework question where they need to find the frequency given a period of 60 microseconds. The student correctly uses the formula frequency = 1/period and converts the unit to hertz. They are unsure if their answer of 16666.7 Hz is correct and asks for confirmation on a forum.
hi all - I am a first year electrical engineer attending college at devry university. i haven't had any previous experience in electronics or engineering so I am really having a hard time grasping some of these concepts. anyway my teacher assigned some homework where the preiod and time are given, and all i need to do is find the frequency.

the first question has the first period at 60 us.

i knwo that frequency is equal to 1 over the period. so it would be 1/60us. i just can't seem to get a frequency that makes any sense out of this. i keep getting 16666.7 hz. is this anywhere near correct ?

i take the period in the denominator and multiply it by 10 to the -6 power because the unit is microseconds right ?

im sure you guys will be hearing a lot from me on these forums, as i have no previous experience in this field, so please don't flame me and call me names.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and answer are correct.

Hi there, don't worry about not having previous experience in this field. It can definitely be overwhelming at first, but with practice and patience, you'll get the hang of it.

To answer your question, you are on the right track. The frequency for a period of 60 microseconds can be calculated using the formula: frequency = 1/period. So in this case, it would be 1/60 microseconds. However, you are correct in converting the units to seconds before plugging it into the formula.

So the correct calculation would be: frequency = 1/(60 * 10^-6 seconds) = 1/0.00006 seconds = 16,666.67 Hz. So you were very close with your calculation, just remember to convert the units correctly.

Don't worry about asking questions on forums, that's what they are here for. It's always better to ask and learn, rather than staying confused and not understanding the concepts. Keep practicing and don't give up, you'll get the hang of it soon enough. Good luck!

1. What is a simple frequency problem?

A simple frequency problem is a type of statistical problem that involves determining the frequency or occurrence of a specific event or data point within a given set of data. This type of problem is commonly used in mathematics, statistics, and other scientific fields.

2. How do you solve a simple frequency problem?

Solving a simple frequency problem involves first identifying the specific event or data point, then counting the number of occurrences of that event or data point within the given data set. The frequency can then be calculated by dividing the number of occurrences by the total number of data points in the set.

3. What is the purpose of solving a simple frequency problem?

The purpose of solving a simple frequency problem is to gain a better understanding of the data being analyzed. By determining the frequency of a specific event or data point, scientists can identify patterns, trends, and relationships within the data, which can then be used to make predictions or draw conclusions.

4. What are some examples of simple frequency problems?

Some examples of simple frequency problems include determining the frequency of a specific word in a text, the frequency of a certain type of behavior in a study, or the frequency of a particular allele in a population.

5. How does a simple frequency problem differ from other types of statistical problems?

A simple frequency problem differs from other types of statistical problems in that it focuses specifically on the frequency of a single event or data point. Other types of statistical problems may involve multiple variables and more complex calculations.

Suggested for: What is the frequency for a period of 60 microseconds?

Back