Find the Frequency of Infrared Radiation with Wavelength 160.432 µm

In summary: You can do this if you enter 160.432E-6.In summary, the frequency of infrared radiation with a wavelength of 160.432 micrometers is 1.869951132 x 10^12 Hz. The speed of light is 3.00 x 10^8 m/s. The units for the answer are missing, but assuming it is Hz, the calculation is correct. It is important to be careful with unit conversions to avoid mistakes.
stacker

Homework Statement

What is the frequency (in Hz) of infared radiation that has a wavelength of 160.432 micrometers? The speed of light is 3.00 x 108 m/s.

Homework Equations

Speed of light = wavelength x frequency

Speed of light = 3.00 x 10^8 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the speed of light is equal to wavelength multiplied by frequency and that this question is basically just plug and chug. But I keep getting the wrong answer. What I did is I converted 160.432 micrometers into meters, which is 1.60432 x 10-4. Then I divided 3 x 108 (m/s) by 1.60432 x 10-4 (m). I get the value of 1.86995 x 1012. I convert this value to nanometers: 1.86 x 1021. This is the wrong answer! What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

What units are missing from your value 1.86995 x 1012? Figure that out and you may notice where you went wrong.

diazona said:
What units are missing from your value 1.86995 x 1012? Figure that out and you may notice where you went wrong.

I think I figured it out: [3 x 108 (m/s)/ 160.432 micrometers] x [106 micrometers/ 1 meter] = 1.869951132 x 10^12

Could you reply back and check if this is the right answer because I think I have only one more shot at getting this right on my online homework.

Again, you're missing the units from your answer. But assuming the missing unit is Hz (as the problem requests), you seem to have done it correctly.

diazona said:
Again, you're missing the units from your answer. But assuming the missing unit is Hz (as the problem requests), you seem to have done it correctly.

I went ahead and checked it. I got it right. Thank you.

stacker said:
What I did is I converted 160.432 micrometers into meters

Such a conversion adds another possible occasion to make a mistake. I would enter 160.432 X 10-6 into the calculator.

1. What is infrared radiation and why is it important?

Infrared radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a longer wavelength than visible light. It is important because it is responsible for heating objects and is used in various applications such as thermal imaging, remote sensing, and communication.

2. How is the frequency of infrared radiation with a wavelength of 160.432 µm calculated?

The frequency of any electromagnetic radiation can be calculated using the formula: frequency = speed of light/wavelength. In this case, the speed of light is approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s and the wavelength is 160.432 µm (convert to meters by dividing by 1,000,000), so the frequency would be 1.87 x 10^12 Hz.

3. How does the frequency of infrared radiation with a wavelength of 160.432 µm compare to other types of electromagnetic radiation?

The frequency of infrared radiation is lower than that of visible light, ultraviolet radiation, and X-rays but higher than that of radio waves and microwaves. This means that it has longer wavelengths and lower energy compared to visible light, but higher energy than radio waves and microwaves.

4. What are the units for measuring the frequency of infrared radiation with a wavelength of 160.432 µm?

The frequency of electromagnetic radiation is typically measured in Hertz (Hz), which is equivalent to cycles per second. In some cases, it may also be measured in kilohertz (kHz), megahertz (MHz), or gigahertz (GHz).

5. How is infrared radiation with a wavelength of 160.432 µm used in practical applications?

Infrared radiation with a wavelength of 160.432 µm is commonly used in thermal imaging cameras, which can detect and measure temperature differences in objects. It is also used in remote sensing to gather information about Earth's surface and atmosphere, and in communication systems for long-distance transmissions.