What is the governing equation of a spring with sinusoidal excitation?

In summary, the spring has a sinusoidal excitation on one end and mass on the other end. The slider-crank determine the location of the left end if the spring, and the right end is the current location of the mass. The force in the spring is K*(deformation) where the deformation is the difference between the current length and the unstrained length. The slider-crank determine the location of the left end if the spring, and the right end is the current location of the mass. Its not a hard problem at all.
k.udhay
TL;DR Summary
Most of the spring vibration lectures assume spring to be fixed on one end and mass on the other end. In my case, spring has a sinusoidal excitation on one end and mass on other end. How to get the governing equation?
Hi,
Most of the spring vibration lectures assume spring to be fixed on one end and mass on the other end [Example]. In my case, spring has a sinusoidal excitation on one end and mass on other end. Pl. refer the image below.

How to get the governing equation? With that I also want to find the resonance frequency of the system. To reduce complexity, I have not taken dampening into account. I will add it later. Pl. help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The force in the spring is K*(deformation) where the deformation is the difference between the current length and the unstrained length. The slider-crank determine the location of the left end if the spring, and the right end is the current location of the mass. Its not a hard problem at all.

Dr.D said:
The force in the spring is K*(deformation) where the deformation is the difference between the current length and the unstrained length. The slider-crank determine the location of the left end if the spring, and the right end is the current location of the mass. Its not a hard problem at all.

Thank you Dr. Do you know any elaborate lecture or derivation available on the internet to understand further details?

No, I don't know of any such.

Are you given dimensions and a coordinate system? If not, you will need to assign some. Do you know the free length of the spring (length with no force in the spring)? This is neccasary because deformation is measured from this state.

Likes k.udhay
k.udhay said:
Thank you Dr. Do you know any elaborate lecture or derivation available on the internet to understand further details?
One of the best lessons I learned in engineering school is the ability to derive my own equations to adapt to the actual problem. I wager that you already have all the fundamentals needed to derive your own equations for this problem. You should try. Try hard.

Courses sometimes fail to mention that derivation skills are as important as solving skills.

• Love
Likes k.udhay
Dr.D said:
No, I don't know of any such.

Are you given dimensions and a coordinate system? If not, you will need to assign some. Do you know the free length of the spring (length with no force in the spring)? This is neccasary because deformation is measured from this state.
I am more interested in the time dimension. As the speed of the crank changes, the acceleration input to the spring changes. At some speed(s) it is going to resonate. Hence, time is what is more a challenging parameter for me.

Most of this problem is in the kinematics. You cannot describe the kinematics as a function of time until you assign some time varying coordinates. If you need further help, I suggest you contact me by PM to discuss it.

Likes k.udhay

1. What is the governing equation of a spring with sinusoidal excitation?

The governing equation of a spring with sinusoidal excitation is known as the harmonic oscillator equation. It is represented by the equation F = -kx - c(dx/dt), where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, c is the damping coefficient, and dx/dt is the velocity of the spring.

2. How does the spring constant affect the governing equation?

The spring constant, represented by k, determines the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant means a stiffer spring, which results in a higher force required to displace the spring from its equilibrium position. In the governing equation, a higher spring constant will result in a larger force term, making the spring more difficult to oscillate.

3. What is the role of damping in the governing equation of a spring with sinusoidal excitation?

The damping coefficient, represented by c, describes the amount of resistance to motion in the spring. In the governing equation, the damping term (c(dx/dt)) is responsible for dissipating energy from the system, resulting in a decrease in amplitude over time. A higher damping coefficient will result in a faster decrease in amplitude.

4. Can the governing equation be used for any type of spring?

Yes, the harmonic oscillator equation can be used for any type of spring, as long as the spring behaves linearly. This means that the force applied to the spring is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Non-linear springs, such as those made from rubber or other materials, may require a different governing equation.

5. How does the sinusoidal excitation affect the governing equation?

The sinusoidal excitation, represented by the term sin(ωt), is responsible for the oscillatory behavior of the spring. As the spring is displaced from equilibrium, the sinusoidal excitation causes the spring to oscillate back and forth around its equilibrium position. The frequency (ω) of the excitation determines how quickly the spring oscillates, while the amplitude of the excitation determines the maximum displacement of the spring.