What is the gradient of a divergence and is it always zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of the gradient of a divergence and its relationship to the zero vector. The speaker is looking for online sources to refresh their knowledge on vector calculus and mentions two links that were helpful in solving their problem. They also mention an important vector identity and its use in showing Maxwell's equations result in an electromagnetic wave equation. The first term on the right side of the vector identity equation is not always equal to zero, contrary to the case often shown to demonstrate the wave equation in a vacuum.
James Essig
Hi Folks,

Was just curious as to what is the gradient of a divergence is and is it always equal to the zero vector. I am doing some free lance research and find that I need to refresh my knowledge of vector calculus a bit. I am having some difficulty with finding web-based sources for the gradient of a divergence.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the info fresh_42. I found those two links very helpful and I solved my problem of the reason for my inquiry.

One very important vector identity, (it is used in showing Maxwell's equations result in an electromagnetic wave equation), is ## \nabla \times \nabla \times \vec{A}=\nabla (\nabla \cdot \vec{A})-\nabla^2 \vec{A} ##. For the case that is often shown to demonstrate the wave equation in a vacuum, ## \nabla \cdot \vec{E}=0 ##, but in general, the first term on the right side of the vector identity equation is not equal to zero.

1. What is the gradient of a divergence?

The gradient of a divergence is a mathematical operation that is used to calculate the rate of change of a vector field at a specific point. It is represented by the symbol ∇· and is also known as the divergence operator.

2. Is the gradient of a divergence always zero?

No, the gradient of a divergence is not always zero. It is only zero in two cases: when the vector field is constant or when it is a solenoidal vector field (meaning it has no sources or sinks).

3. How is the gradient of a divergence calculated?

The gradient of a divergence is calculated by taking the dot product of the del operator (∇) and the divergence operator (∇·). This results in a scalar value representing the magnitude of the change in the vector field at a specific point.

4. What does the gradient of a divergence represent?

The gradient of a divergence represents the rate of change of a vector field at a specific point. It can be thought of as the measure of how much the vector field is spreading out or converging at that point.

5. How is the gradient of a divergence used in physics and engineering?

The gradient of a divergence is used in various fields of physics and engineering, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It helps in understanding the behavior of vector fields and can be used to solve equations and make predictions about the movement of particles or fluid flow.