How do electrons behave when energy is added to an atom's ground state?

In excited state, the electrons can be in any of the higher energy levels. When a photon of the appropriate energy collides with an electron, the electron is excited to a higher energy level, leaving behind a hole in the ground state. This process can occur with any electron, not just valance electrons. However, valance electrons are more likely to be excited because they are in the outermost energy level and therefore more easily accessible to incoming photons. In summary, electrons in the ground state can be excited to higher energy levels by photons, and while any electron can be excited, valance electrons are more likely to be excited due to their location.
Arup Biswas
Yah electrons existing the lowest possible energy state! Now suppose, we throw a beam of light towards a ground state of a atom. I heard/know electrons will take up energy from the photon "hv", and go to the next energy level i.e. excited state. Now my point is, is it only the valance electron that can take up that energy? why and how the other electrons behave? (I may explain that in the comments later if u did not get what i said)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ground state is that state at which the energy of the electrons can not be lowered.

1. What is the ground state?

The ground state refers to the lowest energy state of an atom, molecule, or system of particles. It is the most stable and least energetic state that a system can exist in.

2. How is the ground state determined?

The ground state is determined by the arrangement of electrons in an atom or molecule. The electrons will occupy the lowest possible energy levels, following the rules of the Aufbau principle and the Pauli exclusion principle.

3. What is the significance of the ground state?

The ground state is significant because it is the starting point for understanding the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. It also allows for the prediction of excited states and the emission or absorption of energy.

4. Can the ground state change?

Yes, the ground state can change if the system absorbs or emits energy. This can cause electrons to move to higher energy levels, creating an excited state. However, when the system returns to its lowest energy state, it will once again be in the ground state.

5. How does the ground state affect chemical reactions?

The ground state of atoms and molecules determines their reactivity and ability to participate in chemical reactions. Changes in the ground state can alter the electron configuration and lead to different chemical behaviors and properties.