What is the indefinate integral

• Thread starter sora4ever1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about finding the indefinite integral of tan^7xsec^4x and a user is seeking help with the solution. Another user provides a detailed explanation using the substitution method and arrives at the answer of (tan^8x)/8 + (tan^10x)/10 + C. The user also mentions the possibility of making a mistake and thanks the other user for the help.
sora4ever1
:confused: :confused: i have this question can anyone help me please thx.

what is the indefinate integral of tan^7xsec^4x goodluck.

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far?

TD said:
What have you tried so far?
:redface:
i am not yet to that grade lvl yet so that is why i want some one to post this explaing how to do it and little back ground to this thanks :biggrin:

Basically, I believe you must simply save a factor of [tex] \sec ^ 2 x[/tex]

and use [tex]\sec ^ 2 x = 1 + \tan ^ 2 x [/tex] to express the remaining factors

in terms of [itex] \tan x [/itex]. Next, simply substitute with respect to [tex] \tan x [/tex].

(I think it's called "u"-substitution in some texts).?

As you should already know, :shy:
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \tan x = \sec ^ 2 x [/tex]

*Here's that method, put in action :smile: :
[tex] \int {\tan ^7 x\sec ^4 x\,dx} = \int {\tan ^7 x\left( {1 + \tan ^2 x} \right)\sec ^2 x\,dx} = [/tex]
[tex] \int {\tan ^7 x\left( {1 + \tan ^2 x} \right)\,d\left( {\tan x} \right)} = \boxed{\frac{{\tan ^8 x}}{8} + \frac{{\tan ^{10} x}}{{10}} + C} [/tex]

!It is very likely that somewhere I made an error!...:frown: :frown: :frown:
Somewhere...some silly error :rolleyes:

Last edited:
bomba923 said:
Basically, I believe you must simply save a factor of [tex] \sec ^ 2 x[/tex]

and use [tex]\sec ^ 2 x = 1 + \tan ^ 2 x [/tex] to express the remaining factors

in terms of [itex] \tan x [/itex]. Next, simply substitute with respect to [tex] \tan x [/tex].

(I think it's called "u"-substitution in some texts).?

As you should already know, :shy:
[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \tan x = \sec ^ 2 x [/tex]

*Here's that method, put in action :smile: :
[tex] \int {\tan ^7 x\sec ^4 x\,dx} = \int {\tan ^7 x\left( {1 + \tan ^2 x} \right)\sec ^2 x\,dx} = [/tex]
[tex] \int {\tan ^7 x\left( {1 + \tan ^2 x} \right)\,d\left( {\tan x} \right)} = \boxed{\frac{{\tan ^8 x}}{8} + \frac{{\tan ^{10} x}}{{10}} + C} [/tex]

thx a lot.

bomba923 said:
No, this is correct :smile:

What is the indefinite integral?

The indefinite integral, also known as the antiderivative, is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the original function from its derivative. It represents a family of functions that differ only by a constant.

How is the indefinite integral different from the definite integral?

The indefinite integral does not have any upper or lower limits, while the definite integral has specific limits of integration. The indefinite integral also includes a constant of integration, whereas the definite integral results in a single number.

What is the process for finding the indefinite integral?

The process for finding the indefinite integral involves using integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, to manipulate the derivative back into its original function form. It is also important to include the constant of integration in the final answer.

What are some real-world applications of the indefinite integral?

The indefinite integral is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to solve problems involving rates of change. For example, it can be used to find the position of an object given its velocity, or the total cost of production given the marginal cost function.

What is the notation used for the indefinite integral?

The notation used for the indefinite integral is ∫ f(x) dx, where f(x) is the original function and dx represents the variable of integration. The indefinite integral is often written as F(x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.