1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the initial speed of the ball?

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    1. A home run is hit such a way that the baseballjust clears a wall 27 m high located 147 mfrom home plate. The ball is hit at an angleof 37◦ to the horizontal, and air resistance isnegligible. Assume the ball is hit at a heightof 1 m above the ground.The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .What is the initial speed of the ball?Answer in units of m/s.

2. tried: xf=xi+vxit+.5g^2
    tan theta= vy/vx => vy= vx*tan theta
    yf=vyt+.5gt^2

3. with the above equation I got:
    147= 0+ vxi(4.30407) + 4.9(4.30407)^2=13.0638 wrong
    I got t= 4.30407 by pluging in vy= vx*tan theta into yf=vyt+.5gt^2

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2010 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I don't understand how you got the time. Surely you still have two unknowns, time and vx or vy? I got a slightly different answer for the time.

This problem yields to the old high school routine of making two headings for "horizontal" and "vertical", writing d = vt for the horizontal and d = vt + ½at² for the vertical. I would use v*cos(37) for the horizontal v, and v*sin(37) for the vertical initial v. This way you have two equations and two unknowns (v and t).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook