Kinetic Energy: What am I doing wrong?

In summary, a 1880 kg car traveling at 14.7 m/s has a kinetic energy of 20312.46 J, according to the formula for kinetic energy. However, the student initially made a mistake by using 188 kg instead of 1880 kg in the calculation. After correcting this error, the student arrived at the correct answer.
kadavis2010

Homework Statement

A (n) 1880 kg car travels at a speed of 14.7 m/s. What is it's kinetic energy? Answer in units of J.

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

1/2(188)(14.7)^2= 20312.46
My answer is wrong though...
What did i do? I keep getting all the kinetic problems i have wrong and i am following the formula...

Physics news on Phys.org
It's supposed to be 1880 kg, you used 188 kg.

Ok so now i did .5(1880)(14.7)^2 = 203124.6
It's still wrong...

Why do you say its wrong? Is the answer your comparing it two 203000? or even 200000? It could be sig figs.

Ahh i figured it out. I was submitting it in the wrong blank.

1. What is the definition of kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is the energy that an object has as a result of its movement from one place to another.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. In other words, it is half of the mass multiplied by the square of the velocity.

3. What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a flying airplane, a rolling ball, and a running person. Essentially, any object in motion has kinetic energy.

4. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy an object has?

The amount of kinetic energy an object has is affected by its mass and velocity. A heavier object or an object moving at a higher speed will have more kinetic energy than a lighter object or an object moving at a slower speed.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, thermal energy, and sound energy. For example, when a car is braking, its kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy due to the friction between the brakes and the wheels.