1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the largest possible domain and the corresponding range for this function?

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1
    y=1+x+x3

I just don't know where to begin...
    I've always struggled with domains and ranges.

Even if you could just point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Re: What is the largest possible domain and the corresponding range for this function

The domain is the set of all possible x values for your function which don't cause problems. Think about this, are there any x values which your function will have a problem?

As for the range, it's the set of all possible y values your function can take on. Do your y values take on all of the real numbers or are there some which are not included?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  4. Jan 1, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: What is the largest possible domain and the corresponding range for this function

Look at what happens to y as x goes to infinity and as x goes to negative infinity. This is problem is much simpler than I suspect you realize! If the problem were about the inverse function, that would be another matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook