Length of Moving Rod Relative to Frame S

• Thread starter Snip3r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, Qzit moves at a high speed relative to a mirror, but when he shines light at the mirror, it appears to be perpendicular to the mirror. This scenario is different than moving at high speed relative to a spaceship and measuring a rod that remains at rest with respect to the spaceship.
Snip3r
Consider a rod of length 1 m and I are in frame S. Now i move at a velocity considerable to velocity of light wrt S. I take the rod with me (with its length parallel to motion). Now when i measure the length of the rod what will it be?i think it will still be 1 m for me but just wanted to confirm

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, since the rod remains at rest with respect to you, you'll measure it to have its rest length of 1 m.

Hi Doc Al

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, since the rod remains at rest with respect to you, you'll measure it to have its rest length of 1 m.

If you shoot light out from the rod in a perpendicular direction to the spaceship does it remain perpendicular when it hits the space ship? Does the distance matter?

Qzit said:
If you shoot light out from the rod in a perpendicular direction to the spaceship does it remain perpendicular when it hits the space ship?
As seen by observers in the spaceship, the light path is perpendicular to the rod and the ship.
Does the distance matter?
What distance?

If you shoot light out from the rod in a perpendicular direction to the spaceship does it remain perpendicular when it hits the space ship? Does the distance matter?

Doc Al...how did you ever interpret this??
Is the 'perpendicular' to the rod or the spaceship or both? What direction is the spaceship moving relative to the rod? Is it accelerating or moving with a constant velocity [fixed speed and direction]?

As seen by observers in the spaceship, the light path is perpendicular to the rod and the ship.

if the ship is moving at constant velocity parallel to the rod, right??

I can't speak for Doc Al, but I assumed that the "space ship" Qzit was referring to was the one on which the Snip3r was carrying the rod. Since they are all (Snip3r, the rod, and the spaceship) are all motionless with respect to each other, it really does not matter whether is arranged in the direction the spaceship is moving.

HallsofIvy...oh good grief, no wonder...I did not think of that scenario...
Thank you!

That also answers my post #7...
and to all a good night!

But that thread relates...a different perspective...so I'll leave it...

HallsofIvy said:
I can't speak for Doc Al, but I assumed that the "space ship" Qzit was referring to was the one on which the Snip3r was carrying the rod.
Exactly. (If Qzit wants to discuss a different scenario, let him define it.)

Naty1 said:
The conclusion here seems different...is it?? Now I'm not sure...time to think a bit more!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=562144
The discussion in that link doesn't seem to have anything to do with this topic. There, you are moving at high speed relative to a mirror and shining as light at it, here, you are measuring a stick you are carrying with you.

The discussion in that link doesn't seem to have anything to do with this topic. There, you are moving at high speed relative to a mirror and shining as light at it, here, you are measuring a stick you are carrying with you.

i agree... that's why I said a "different perspective" above ...maybe I should have said different frames of reference or different situation.

1. What is the meaning of "Length of Moving Rod Relative to Frame S"?

The length of a moving rod relative to frame S refers to the length of the rod as measured by an observer in frame S, which is the frame of reference in which the rod is at rest.

2. How does the length of a moving rod change when observed from different frames of reference?

According to the theory of relativity, the length of a moving rod will appear shorter when measured from a frame of reference in motion relative to the rod. This is known as length contraction and is a result of the time-space dilation effect.

3. Is the length of a moving rod affected by its velocity?

Yes, the length of a moving rod is affected by its velocity. As the speed of the rod increases, its length will appear shorter when measured from a stationary frame of reference.

4. How is the length of a moving rod calculated?

The length of a moving rod can be calculated using the equation L' = L√(1 - v^2/c^2), where L' is the length measured by an observer in motion with the rod, L is the rest length of the rod, v is the relative velocity between the rod and the observer, and c is the speed of light.

5. Can the length of a moving rod exceed the speed of light?

No, the length of a moving rod cannot exceed the speed of light. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that anything can travel, and it is impossible for an object to have a length greater than this speed.