1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions What is the letter of recommendation?

1. Nov 29, 2017 #51
    We don't have a guidance counseling.

The test is based on very simply mathematical questions, like trigonometry, thing that almost anyone who went to high school know.
    Like I said before you don't have to pass it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  2. Nov 29, 2017 #52
    Many here have found at least some aspects of Grands accounts of the Italian education system to be not credible. But I'd like to point out that I graduated high school in Massachusetts in the early '70s. If I recall correctly after all these decades, the policy then was that any student who graduated from a Massachusetts high school was guaranteed admission into U. of Mass. You still had to submit a formal application and receive a formal acceptance, but acceptance was guaranteed. It was the ultimate "safety" school, and our guidance officers told us all to apply even if we were confident of getting accepted to better schools. I no longer live there and don't know whether that policy still holds.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  3. Nov 29, 2017 #53

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indeed, I seem to recall that in the 1980's one of my Italian friends said that students often registered at laSapienza just to be able to eat at the presumably heavily subsidized cafeteria, but with no interest in completing a course of study.

4. Nov 29, 2017 #54

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The whole system was somewhat eccentric. The university librarians' union was very powerful and forced the closure of the research library daily at noon. Even though I was a university researcher I was obliged to quit the library and continue my research at home in the afternoon.

5. Nov 29, 2017 #55

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In spite of some eccentricities, there are excellent faculty members in the Italian system, from whom one could certainly learn a lot. All the professors I listed above are internationally recognized experts in algebraic geometry. Another such is Professor Van Geemen, who appears in the second link from Teethwhitener as Head of studies in mathematics at Univ of Milano. He is originally from Holland but has been in residence in Italy for some time. So the Italian system also attracts experts from abroad.

6. Nov 30, 2017 #56

donpacino

Gold Member

In the link you posted there is a section for passing year 2 and 1 tests, which replaces the sat and act.
    A portfolio is simply a collection of the work you have done. many colleges in the US don't require it either, but it can help you get in. Even if an Italian university doesn't require it, you might consider making one. Same with your transcript. If they arent required for application and no one ever submits them, then you really shouldn't even be asking for advice, because apparently you can get into any itallian university by passing high school.

7. Nov 30, 2017 #57
    Grands' lead-off post concerned application to a UK university. Most of his questions stem from major differences between practices in Italy and practices in other countries, should he decide to apply outside of Italy.

8. Nov 30, 2017 #58

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Grands's question here seems to be answered now. The thing he would consider now, is what might he do between now (still in high school) and the time of preparing his application package for a UK university, so that someone (boss, supervisor, manager, teacher) will know enough about his work and habits to be able to write a letter of recommendation.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted