1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the limit of e^-ix

1. Jan 27, 2015 #1
    What is the limit of [itex]e^{-ix}[/itex] as x tends to infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What does ##e^{-ix}## represent? IOW, for a given x value, what does ##e^{-ix}## evaluate to?

4. Jan 27, 2015 #3
    [itex]cos(x) - isin(x)[/itex]

5. Jan 27, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK, so what do YOU think the limit should be, if anything?

6. Jan 27, 2015 #5
    Well this is exactly my problem, I dont know. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I have considered the limit in terms of cos and sin and I'm not just asking you out of laziness. I would be inclined to say the limit does not exist. The reason I need to know is I am answering a question on square well potentials where solving schrodingers equation yields [itex]\psi(x)=Ae^{ikx} +Be^{-ikx}[/itex] outside of the well which in the region to the leftof the well simplifies to [itex]Ae^{ikx}[/itex] and I was wondering if this is because the wave function equals zero as x tends to minus infinity which implies B=0. I dont know if this is now the right place to ask this but if anyone can help that would be great.

7. Jan 27, 2015 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't comment on the physics question. However the original math question is answerable - there is no limit. You can envision it geometrically as being points on the unit circle in the complex plane. As x becomes infinite the point simply goes around the circle indefinitely.

8. Jan 27, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know what it means when we say that a function, f(x), has a limit as x → ∞? Never mind the "epsilon-delta" stuff; just give an intuitive description.

Alternatively, think of the graph y = cos(x). Do the y-values settle down to a fixed value as x becomes larger and larger?

9. Jan 27, 2015 #8

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A (infinite) square well potential should not have waves outside of the well. Outside the well, the wave function should just be 0. A finite square well can have a non 0 wave function outside the well, but they should exponentially decay instead of oscillate (assuming a bound state). Recheck your answers.

If you are dealing with scattering states, then the wave function must be a wave-packet, not a plane wave since plane waves are not normalizable.

10. Jan 27, 2015 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, I was looking for a more specific answer, which @mathman gave you in post #6. In my question I specified "for a specific x value," so your response should have taken that into account.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook