Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the limit of human intelligence if any?

1. Jun 11, 2004 #1
    Do you feel that humans will ever reach a point where they just won't be able to understand something? Will we ever peak in our intelligence and if so how far into the future.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2004 #2
    Hi guys, this is ludo_z from the Old World, pleased to join this forum.

I believe that the way us humans understand the world is through the use of models and through language in general. By model I mean a theoretical system of some sort which structures the world according to its rules. The laws of physics give us a model of the world. We usually think of the world through the laws of physics we know, so when we do things like looking at the stars or seeing things fall we conceive them through the categories of modern physics (or sometimes not-so-modern depending on the subject). That is we don't think of the stars as fixed points, or as falling objects as containing a "live force" that lets them move. We also think of economy and the social sciences through models. Understanding phaenomena described by a model means to fully understand the model.

There are some situations which are so complex which cannot be grasped by a "simple" model. For example I do not have a model for life, human behaviour which is accurate enough to make me feel I really completely understand it. In these cases I am still able to give meanings to phaenomena but not to undertand it. For example I know what "violence" is, but I do know always know why there is violence.

Models operate through language, where by language I mean some sort of symbolic representation. Also mathematics, music and gestures are languages in this sense. Language operates through representation. So I think that to answer to the initial question it is necessary to understand what the limits of representation are.

Another point is that we can never be sure that our models are correct. We may be pleased my sufficiently accurate models, for example of the economy, which make us think for a while fat we actually understand what is going on. Then one day there might be an unexpected crisis which invalidates the model we use. This happened for example when relativity arose. In other words I don't think that we will be ever capable of knowing if we are at the peak in our intellingce or just at the beginng of the road.

4. Jun 12, 2004 #3
    What would the percieved limitations of it's own intelligence seem like to a monkey, and how might it percieve human intelligence?

My guess is that to a monkey humans would seem really boring and painstakingly overly attentive to every slight detail, not to mention that they spend ridiculous amounts of time building things that will never last when all that's really important is the moment- it might take a monkey a year to learn how to drive nails with a hammer if at all, they may not have the complex neural tissue and drives necessary to learn this task in a timely manner and probably couldn't see the benefits of it at all beyond a few extra peanuts, and in a way these same limitations are in humans in a relative context so that for a human to learn how to "drive nails with a hammer" or some other highly complex mental feat would seem like a pointless undertaking with very little return for the absurd energy expenditure and have virtually no perception of the long term benefits likely until long after the effort given, like cigarettes are mostly addictive because the chemical reward is within a second but some behaviors are more rewarding but the effects are within 10 days and are hardly ever noticed.

5. Jun 12, 2004 #4
    Well lemme think...i see this in a pretty simple way...we have brain, which is enclosed in skull.

so, physically, it is limited. So, unless the mind is really above matter, our intelligence is limited.

Perhaps more appropriate question would be, wether can the enclosed mind in our skull grasp and understand everything that is outside of our mind.

well that depends on wether universe is infinite. our brain is physically limited, and we use it to shape and understand the physical world around us.

so if the physical universe is infinite, it is probably unlikely that a physically limited brain or some other physical form would be able to grasp it.

6. Jun 12, 2004 #5
    on the contrary, the physical universe could be smaller that our brain capacity and capabilites to understand it, thus, we would have the *feeling* that our intelligence is unlimited.

7. Jun 12, 2004 #6
    with your first post poce do you feel we could know everything about the universe before requiring a brain that that would equal its size

8. Jun 12, 2004 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

the only limit is the one we place on ourselves...

9. Jun 12, 2004 #8
    Well that doesn't really follow. Intelligence does not exactly have extension, in a sort of disparate sort of way yes, but on the whole it does not have extension therefore cannot necessarily be limited by those kinds of means. A person's brain may be enclosed in a skull in Tucson, Arizona but it has no problem making an intelligent decision about a problem in Sydney, Australia. As well, if someone cannot understand a math problem it is not because the barrier, or skull, in that person's head is too strong. Maybe you can clarify this but as it stands now I do not think it follows.
    *Nico

10. Jun 12, 2004 #9
    But don't psychologists say that we have an unlimited long term memory capacity?

11. Jun 13, 2004 #10
    Well it is true that the word "unlimited" would in fact have boundaries. Nothing is really unlimited that is physical. However it is just unlimited compared to what we use.

12. Jun 13, 2004 #11

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

We're never going to know exactly how a bat (or any other creature that uses echolocation to "see") experiences the world, which is a limit placed on us by evolution, not one we placed on ourselves. It is one of many.

13. Jun 13, 2004 #12

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

evolution or biology? :smile: echolocation has to do with the senses, not intelligence. for all the senses we have, using them to the best of our will shows intelligence. biology has not granted the ability to see in ultraviolet light, however we understand it exists. same with echolocation, we understand it is there, although our biololgy does not allow us to have the ability to use it.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  14. Jun 13, 2004 #13
    as a poker player i like the proposition that if i believe that my intelligence is unlimited, i increase the odds of being more intelligent. If i believe that i am limited in anyway, i increase the odds that my abilities will be limited.

i prefer to accept the probability that the universe is infinite and so are my options (including ultimate knowledge).

love&peace,
    olde drunk

15. Jun 13, 2004 #14
    Well as for this particular example loseyourname has given, I would have to say you are correct Kerrie. This echolocation, I think, pertains to sense perception, which is axiomatic, therefore it would be category mistake to compare it with something that maybe cognized about to a point of deriving a conclusion, which is what understanding is. However, if we were discussing knowledge and not understanding this would in fact be a "limit," if you want to refer to it as such.
    *Nico

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  16. Jun 13, 2004 #15

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You guys are missing my point. It is beyond our intellectual capacity to envision the experience. While it is also beyond our sensory capacity to echolocate, that isn't what I was saying. That would indeed be a category mistake. The author of the thread asked "Do you feel that humans will ever reach a point where they just won't be able to understand something?" My answer is yes, and one example is that we won't ever understand what it's like to be a bat.

17. Jun 13, 2004 #16
    loseyourname, I agree with your conclusion, of course. I simply also agreed with Kerrie's criticism of your example. =) Although to continue with the bat example which you clarified, I am still not convinced that that is an epistemic limitation, although it may be yes. Obviously we cannot have the experience of an identity that is not our's, but I am not sure if that is a limit of understanding. By extention, I cannot know what it is like to be you nor Kerrie nor anyone else, though the precision with which I can ascertain what it may be like to be you is much greater, I suppose, than that of the bat, I still am limited in that I cannot actually know what it is like to be you. This may or may not be an epistemic limitation, but I feel it may be a trivial one if it is. Although, let me say again I completely agree that we are limited, of course.
    *Nico

18. Jun 14, 2004 #17

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

intelligence is the ability to utilize what one already has. to compare our abilities to a bat is to compare car to a bicycle. each are modes of transportation, but is one better then the other? only in specific instances. a car is much better at long distance travel, however a bike is much better at not polluting our environment and lower maintenance.

19. Jun 14, 2004 #18
    This is an easy one.

1. The human brain consists of a finite number of particles and energy states.
    2. This matrix of particles and energy states is less than what exists in the cosmos.

Ergo: The human brain has insufficient capacity to contain a matrix containing the total map of all the particles and energy states that exist in the cosmos.

Ergo: A human's knowledge is limited.

Further:

All of the humans that exist, or will ever exist, will always comprise a subset of the cosmos; Ergo, the collective knowledge of humanity is also limited.

20. Jun 14, 2004 #19
    That isn't convincing. All you have shown is there is not a one to one ratio of particles in a human brain and the sum of the universe. This isn't an indication of epistemic limitation. Although, I agree we have epistemic limitations.

Circulus in Demonstrando. You are assuming your conclusions. You are hinting, but not so obviously, at the assertion that existence implies epistemic limitation.
    *Nico

21. Jun 15, 2004 #20
    is my mind my brain??

i submit that my brain is what is necessary for my physical activity. my mind goes beyond the limits of my brain. needless to say, there is no way to prove this point, however, we have seen savants with limited brain power do unbelieveable mental feats that your rank and file geniuses could not.

i prefer to believe that my mind is limitless.

love&peace,
    olde drunk

ps: with an expanding universe, i will never know all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?