Can the equations for two retarded potentials satisfy the Lorenz condition?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Lorenz condition in satisfying the equations for divergence and curl. The speaker mentions that the direct equation for this condition is div(curl(V))=0 and suggests that moving to Tensors and/or differential forms may help in proving the conditions. They also mention the use of the Lorenz condition in deriving two retarded potentials.
kkabi_seo
upload_2018-12-21_0-58-33.png

I wonder these equations can satisfy the Lorenz condition??

I mean.. how above equations can satisfy the divergence A + 1/c^2 dϕ/dt =0.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-21_0-58-33.png
    1 KB · Views: 687
  • upload_2018-12-21_0-58-33.png
    1 KB · Views: 711
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the direct equation you want is div(curl(V))=0; for instance, https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...nation-for-operatornamediv-operatornamecurl-f
Now reasoning backward's from div(V)= 0 to integration and proving the conditions for V=curl(R) escapes me right now. Although I think that moving to Tensors and/or differential forms, might work. I also think that this is equivalent to conditions on ρ(x,t), J(x,t); i.e a space-time current/flow flow. If nobody else answers I will look it up.
Old with memory even poorer than when I was younger :)
Ray

The Lorenz condition is used in the derivation of the two retarded potentials so they must satisfy it.
Proving that it does, starting with those integrals, is tricky because it is difficult to differentiate the retarded time.

What is the Lorenz condition?

The Lorenz condition is a mathematical equation that is used in the study of electromagnetism. It is named after the physicist Ludvig Lorenz and is used to ensure that the solutions to Maxwell's equations (which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields) are accurate and physically meaningful.

Why is the Lorenz condition important?

The Lorenz condition is important because it helps to ensure that the solutions to Maxwell's equations are physically realistic. Without this condition, the equations may produce solutions that do not accurately describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, making them useless for practical applications.

What does the Lorenz condition mathematically represent?

The Lorenz condition is a mathematical representation of the fact that the electric and magnetic fields are related and influence each other. It states that the divergence of the electric field is equal to the negative time derivative of the magnetic field, and vice versa.

Can the Lorenz condition be derived from other physical laws?

Yes, the Lorenz condition can be derived from other laws, such as the continuity equation (which expresses the conservation of charge) and the wave equation (which describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves). It can also be derived from the more fundamental Maxwell's equations themselves.

Are there any limitations to the Lorenz condition?

One limitation of the Lorenz condition is that it only applies to electromagnetic fields in a vacuum. It does not take into account the effects of other materials, such as conductors or dielectrics. Additionally, the Lorenz condition assumes that the electric and magnetic fields are continuous and have well-defined derivatives, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.