1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnitude of the torque acting on the loop? T = IAB

1. Nov 2, 2005 #1
    A circular wire loop of radius 20.0 cm carries a current of 3.10 A. It is placed so that the normal to its plane makes an angle of 34.0° with a uniform magnetic field of 15.0 T.

I don't understand why this isnt right, i got the first part right, it wanted me to find the magnetic dipole moment of the loop, which i found to be .3896 Am^2; I got this by using M = IA;
    now it wants me to find the magnitude of the torque acting on the loop. So I used the formula:
    Torque = IAB;
    I = current
    A = area of loop
    B = Magnetic field;
    Torque = (3.10)(PI*.20^2)(15) = 5.84 Nm, which is wrong, any ideas why? :bugeye:
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2005 #2

James R

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The torque is only IAB if the field lines are perpendicular to the plane of the loop, whioch isn't the case here.

The complete formula is:

[tex]\tau = IAB \sin \theta[/tex]

where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the normal to the loop and the magnetic field. In your problem, the relevant angle is 34 degrees.

In vector terms, the torque is:

[tex]\vec{\tau} = \vec{\mu} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{\mu}[/itex] is the magnetic moment.

4. Nov 2, 2005 #3
    ohh thanks alot james, worked great!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?