What is the mass of dark matter?

In summary, scientists are still trying to figure out what exactly dark matter is, but we do know that there is at least 5 times more dark-matter mass than regular matter. Dark matter is believed to be made up of particles called WIMPS, which interact only through gravity and are much more massive than protons. However, since we still don't know what dark matter is, we cannot determine its exact mass per particle.
quantum12345
I am 9 years old. Can anyone tell me the answer on this one?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What do you mean? The mass per particle? Not known. In fact, not much is known about dark matter, except that it doesn't interact electromagnetically, (strongly, or weakly, either, I think?), but it does interact via gravity.

Just like normal matter, you would have to tell us a quantity for us to give you a number for mass. Since we don't even know what dark matter is we cannot even say that it is a certain mass per particle. (If it is even made out of particles)

quantum12345 said:
I am 9 years old. Can anyone tell me the answer on this one?
Hi quanum12345, that's a great question! Many scientists are working very hard to figure the answer out. What we know is that there is at least about 5 times as much dark-matter mass, as 'regular' (called, "baryonic") mass. Also, for a number of reasons, we expect that the mass of each dark-matter particle is much-much more massive than any of the particles which make up normal matter (i.e. protons, neutrons, especially electrons).

Many of the candidates for the particles which make up dark matter are called WIMPS, which stands for "Weakly Interacting Massive Particles". They are 'weakly interacting' because they only interact gravitationally (in-other-words, no electricity-and-magnetism which is the primary way day-to-day objects interact); and 'massive particles' because we think they are so much more massive than protons (for example).

Hello! That's a great question. The mass of dark matter is a bit tricky to determine because it does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation, making it difficult to observe. However, scientists estimate that dark matter makes up about 85% of the total matter in the universe. This means that it has a very large mass, but we are still working on accurately measuring and understanding it. Keep asking questions and learning about science!

1. What is dark matter?

Dark matter is a type of matter that makes up about 27% of the universe. It does not interact with light, making it invisible to telescopes and other instruments. Its presence is inferred through its gravitational effects on visible matter.

2. How do scientists measure the mass of dark matter?

Scientists use a variety of methods to estimate the mass of dark matter. These include measuring the rotation curves of galaxies, gravitational lensing, and studying the large-scale structure of the universe.

3. Why is it difficult to determine the mass of dark matter?

One of the main challenges in determining the mass of dark matter is that it does not interact with light, making it difficult to directly observe or measure. Scientists must rely on indirect methods to estimate its mass.

4. What is the current estimated mass of dark matter?

The current estimated mass of dark matter is about 5.6 times the mass of visible matter in the universe. This means that for every visible particle, there are approximately 5.6 dark matter particles.

5. Can dark matter be detected in a laboratory setting?

No, dark matter cannot be detected in a laboratory setting because it does not interact with light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation. However, scientists are working on developing new technologies and experiments to try and directly detect dark matter.