1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the Mass of Jupiter?

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    1. Europa was one of the moons discovered by Galileo. It has a mass of 4.9E22 kg and a period of 3.6 days and distance of 6.7E8 m. What is the mass of Jupiter?

3.6 days = 311040 sec
    F = G m m / r^2
    F = Mv^2 / r
    T^2 = (4pi^2/Gm) R^3

3. I threw the numbers into Kepler's formula and get a negative exponent answer, and at this point im sort of lost. Somebody please put me in the right direction. And no I dont know exactly what the distance is from, but assume the obvious (whatever it may be) for the time being. Distance from the surface or from the center of Jupiter I dont know.

I spent more time dwelling over this, and used 3 formulas: v = 2pi r/t to find the velocity of the moon's orbit. Then I used Kepler's formula T^2 = 3E-19 R^3 to find the radius of Jupiter (plugging 311040 sec into T). I think used the velocity and radius I calculated to find the mass of Jupiter using the formula v = sqrt(G m/r). I derived this formula by comparing centripetal force equation with Newtons law of universal gravitation (probably a memorized formula in most cases I would assume). Doing all of this, I got a value of 1.88E28. I double-checked with wikipedia and I am off by a decimal point (according to them). I assume I am now on the right track, but could someone just assure me that I used the right logic to come to my answer?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you just did the arithmatic wrong
    Kepler's law (t/2pi)^2 = a^3 /G(M+m)

G(M+m) = 4pi^2 a^3 / t^2, where G=6.6E-11, I get the right answer (1.86E+27kg)

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    What did you use/how did you calculate the "a" value? (I am assuming you mean radius, at least thats how we learned it).

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes 'a' is radius ( strictly semi-major axis of the ellipse, hence a )
    You are given it as 6.7E8 m in the question!

6. Nov 15, 2007 #5
    Interesting, I rechecked my work plugging in 311040 for T, 4.9E22 for one of the masses, and 6.7E8 m for the radius, and did indeed get it wrong, again. I tried this time, following your formula and got it right. Sorry for my stupidity, ive just been extremely stressed out lately. I hope I dont screw up my math on my test tomorrow, although I usually am pretty good with that part of physics. Thanks for your help.

But would the method I used earlier (and got the answer slightly wrong) still work for this? Considering 4pi^2/Gm is a constant, I am assuming my logic is not flawed. However, I guess I should just stick with using one formula to find the answer, now that I can.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  7. Nov 15, 2007 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your formula is for the case for the mass of the moon being negligible, it's what I did first because I misread the question as Io - which is pretty small.

Remember to check units and do a quick order of magnitude estimate from the exponnets.
    It's easy to miss a +/- in an exponent on a calculator.

Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?