1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the mass of the cart?

1. May 4, 2006 #1
    Thank you--

Problem:
    A 50 kg boy runs at a speed of 10 m/s and jumps onto a cart. The cart is initially at rest. If the speed of the cart with the boy on it is 2.50 m/s, what is the mass of the cart?

I don't know what to do. This probelem seems very simple but I don't know where to start.

These I know are the knowns:
    vo(cart) = 0 m/s
    vf(cart) = 2.50 m/s
    vo(boy) = 10 m/s
    vf(boy) = 2.5 m/s

So I know velocities and I know the mass of the boy.
    Should I start off by finding the acceleration from F=ma, since I know a mass? But then I don't know how to find F. I know Fn = mg in the y component, but I don't know what I would use Fn next for. Am I supposed to use kinematics equations? But I don't know a, x, or time. Direction is needed, thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It's much simpler than you think. Hint: What's conserved when the boy "collides" with the cart?

4. May 4, 2006 #3
    Sum of external forces = 0! thank you!!!

5. May 5, 2006 #4
    SO yeah, the net force is zero. This clue leads us to what principle pf physics, ya know, with its own set of silly equations and all.

6. May 5, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Care to expand / explain your comment DaMasta? Edit. perhaps this is best discussed in the pf lounge actually.

~H

Last edited: May 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?