Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the mass of the cart?

1. May 4, 2006 #1
    Thank you--

Problem:
    A 50 kg boy runs at a speed of 10 m/s and jumps onto a cart. The cart is initially at rest. If the speed of the cart with the boy on it is 2.50 m/s, what is the mass of the cart?

I don't know what to do. This probelem seems very simple but I don't know where to start.

These I know are the knowns:
    vo(cart) = 0 m/s
    vf(cart) = 2.50 m/s
    vo(boy) = 10 m/s
    vf(boy) = 2.5 m/s

So I know velocities and I know the mass of the boy.
    Should I start off by finding the acceleration from F=ma, since I know a mass? But then I don't know how to find F. I know Fn = mg in the y component, but I don't know what I would use Fn next for. Am I supposed to use kinematics equations? But I don't know a, x, or time. Direction is needed, thanks!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It's much simpler than you think. Hint: What's conserved when the boy "collides" with the cart?

4. May 4, 2006 #3
    Sum of external forces = 0! thank you!!!

5. May 5, 2006 #4
    SO yeah, the net force is zero. This clue leads us to what principle pf physics, ya know, with its own set of silly equations and all.

6. May 5, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Care to expand / explain your comment DaMasta? Edit. perhaps this is best discussed in the pf lounge actually.

~H

Last edited: May 5, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook