Max Acceleration for Car w/o Cup Sliding: 2.35 m/s^2

In summary, the maximum acceleration the car can have without causing the coffee cup to slide is 2.35 m/s^2, calculated using the formula Fs= (ms)(N) and considering the coefficient of static friction between the cup and the car roof as 0.24. The mass of the cup was not provided, so it was assumed to be cancelled out in the calculation.
dg_5021
Problem-
If the coefficient of static friction between the coffee cup and the roof of the car is 0.24, What is the maximum acceleration the car can have without causing the cup to slide? Ignore the effects of air resistance.

Answer-
i know the formula is: Fs= (ms) (N)
i multipy 0.24 x 9.81m/s^2
and got =2.35 m/s^2

Did i do it right? Is my work correct? please help

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a rather important piece of information missing here! Remember what "N" is?

Don't you think a coffee cup made of lead would be less likely to slide than one made of fine china?

i know N= (m)(g)
but the question never gives me the kg and i know gravity =9.81m/s^2

am i suppose to find kg?

oh wait i got it ms= Fs/N
ms=m(ax)/m(g)
ms=ax/g
ms x g=ax
.24x 9.81 = 2.35m/s^2

thanks

1. What is max acceleration for a car without cup sliding?

The max acceleration for a car without cup sliding is 2.35 m/s^2. This means that the car can accelerate at a rate of 2.35 meters per second squared without the cups inside it sliding or spilling.

2. How is max acceleration for a car without cup sliding measured?

The max acceleration for a car without cup sliding is typically measured using a accelerometer. This device measures the acceleration of the car and can provide the necessary data to calculate the max acceleration without cup sliding.

3. What factors affect the max acceleration for a car without cup sliding?

There are several factors that can affect the max acceleration for a car without cup sliding. These include the surface of the road, the weight and distribution of the cups inside the car, and the power and torque of the car's engine.

4. Is 2.35 m/s^2 a good max acceleration for a car without cup sliding?

The max acceleration of 2.35 m/s^2 is considered to be a relatively high and desirable value for a car without cup sliding. This means that the car can accelerate quickly without the cups inside it moving or spilling.

5. Can the max acceleration for a car without cup sliding be improved?

Yes, the max acceleration for a car without cup sliding can be improved through various means such as improving the car's engine power and torque, optimizing the weight and distribution of the cups inside the car, and ensuring the road surface is suitable for high acceleration.