What is the maximum distance

• Thread starter Latios1314
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maximum
In summary: You need to use both of them to get the final answer.In summary, the two sprinters, Laura and Healan, took 2.00 seconds and 3.00 seconds respectively to attain their maximum speeds in a women's 100-m race. They both maintained their maximum speeds for the rest of the race and crossed the finish line simultaneously, setting a world record of 10.4 seconds. The acceleration of each sprinter can be calculated using the given information. As for their respective maximum speeds, they can also be determined by using the given data. At the 6.00-second mark, Laura is ahead of Healan by a certain distance. To find the maximum distance by which Healan is behind Laura, one must
Latios1314
In a women's 100-m race, accelerating uniformly, Laura takes 2.00 s and Healan 3.00 s to attain their maximum speeds, which they each maintain for the rest of the race. They cross the finish line simultaneously, both setting a world record of 10.4 s.
(a) What is the acceleration of each sprinter?
(b) what are their respective maximum speeds?
(c) which sprinter is ahead at the 6.00-s mark, and by how much?
(d) What is the maximum distance by which Healan is behind Laura, and at what time does that occur?

I've managed to solve part a, b and c of the question but I'm stuck at part d.

I've difficulty coming up with the equations for the distance ran by Laura and Healan. I've stuck at trying to fit both the final velocities and the accleration of the runners into the same equation.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Latios1314,

I haven't yet worked through the math, but I was wondering whether you're familiar with differentials?

I'm rather familiar with it but I'm hacing difficulty coming up with the distance formula's for both girls.

For the first three parts, i actually broke up the speed to two components, the constant velocity component and the acceleration phase.

I'm not really sure how I'm supposed to combine the two to form a distance formula wrt to time for part d.

Yes, it was good to split it up into acceleration phase and constant velocity phase.

Think of it like a graph of velocity against time. For the constant acceleration phase, it will be a line with gradient equal to the acceleration. And for the constant speed phase, it will be a horizontal line.

So what is the distance at a particular time? just the total area under the graph up until that time!

Also, keep in mind that the graphs for each of the two people will look different, since they have different accelerations for different amounts of times, but I'm guessing you know that already since you did a,b,c

Last edited:

But how do I combine the two parts together into one equation?

You're asking how to put together the acceleration phase and constant velocity phase to get one equation?

Well the final speed, position and time of the acceleration phase will equal the initial speed, position and time of the velocity phase. You need to make use of this to get the answer to part d.
But there isn't one single equation for the motion. There is one equation for during the acceleration phase and one equation for the constant velocity phase.

What is the maximum distance?

The maximum distance refers to the farthest possible distance that can be measured or traveled.

What factors affect the maximum distance?

Factors such as gravity, air resistance, and surface conditions can affect the maximum distance that can be achieved.

How is the maximum distance calculated?

The maximum distance can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and other relevant factors.

Can the maximum distance be exceeded?

In theory, there is no limit to the maximum distance that can be achieved. However, in practical terms, the laws of physics and human limitations may prevent us from exceeding certain distances.

Why is understanding the maximum distance important?

Understanding the maximum distance can help scientists and engineers design and develop technologies that can reach farther distances, such as space exploration or long-distance communication.