Calculating Secondary Electron Energy After 2 MeV Photon Scattering

In summary, the speaker is struggling to find an equation to calculate the average energy of secondary electrons produced by 2 MeV photons via compton scatter. They have found the equation for the maximum energy but are unable to find the distribution function for the energies. They are seeking help to find the equation for average electron energy.
j2dabizo
Hi everyone,

Really struggling to find anything on the internet to solve this problem. I really thought it would be an easy plug and chug equation..but I can't find it anywhere.

Basically, I was asked to find what the maximum and average energy of secondary electrons produced by 2 MeV photon via compton scatter.

I figured out the maximum, using correct equations..but I cannot find anywhere an equation that will help me calculate average electron energy.

Any help will be appreciated...thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you have the distribution function for the energies?

i don't hve that information

How did you get the maximum energy then?

1. How is the secondary electron energy after 2 MeV photon scattering calculated?

The secondary electron energy after 2 MeV photon scattering can be calculated using the following formula:

Ese = Eph - Ebinding - Elost

Where Ese is the secondary electron energy, Eph is the energy of the incident photon, Ebinding is the binding energy of the electron in the material, and Elost is the energy lost through interactions with other particles.

2. What factors can affect the calculation of secondary electron energy?

The calculation of secondary electron energy can be affected by various factors such as the energy and angle of the incident photon, the composition and thickness of the material, and the properties of the material's atomic structure.

3. Can the secondary electron energy be measured experimentally?

Yes, the secondary electron energy can be measured experimentally using instruments such as a secondary electron analyzer or a scanning electron microscope. These instruments can detect and measure the energy of the secondary electrons emitted from a material after photon scattering.

4. Is there a specific unit used for measuring secondary electron energy?

Yes, the unit commonly used for measuring secondary electron energy is electron volts (eV). However, other units such as joules (J) or kilo-electron volts (keV) can also be used.

5. How can the calculation of secondary electron energy be useful in scientific research?

The calculation of secondary electron energy can be useful in various scientific research fields such as material science, nuclear physics, and radiation therapy. It can provide valuable information about the interactions between photons and matter, as well as the properties of different materials and their atomic structures.