What is the maximum height achieved by the projectile?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum height and impact velocity of a projectile launched from a canyon wall. The participants use equations such as y=Voyt + 1/2at^2 and v^2 = u^2 +2ad to calculate the height and velocity. They also consider the x and y components of the velocity and use the Pythagorean theorem to find the final velocity. Conservation of mechanical energy is suggested as an alternative method, but it is not used as it has not been learned yet. Overall, the final answers for the height and velocity are found to be approximately 128m and 199m/s, respectively.
pinky2468
I have a question from my practice test that is supposed to be on our midterm, so I want to make sure I am doing it right!

A 10kg projectile is launched from the wall of a canyon at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizon with a velocity of 100m/s. The wall is 1500m above the canyon floor.
a)what is the maximum height achieved by the projectile?
b)what is the impact velocity with the canyon floor?

So, I did part a and I found the x and y components of v...vsin30 and vcos30.
I then found the time and used it it the equation y=Voyt + 1/2at^2 and I got y=128m

So, for part b which equation do I use? If I use pythagorean theorem the answer is 100m/s which is the same as the initial. Is that right? Or do I need to use a different equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
why don't you use conservation of mechanical energy?

[tex] \Delta K + \Delta \Omega = 0 [/tex]

For max height, you know Vy = 0, and Vx is constant, so use that. There is gravitational potential energy. You could do it with kinematics, but why bother?

Because, we have not learned that yet so I can't use the equation

Hmmm, big no on that.

You split the velocity into x-y components which is good, but your choice of formula for part 1 is somewhat questionable. See the question have not given you how long the bullet stays in the air, and therefore you would have 2 unknowns in d=ut + 1/2 at^2. it's still doable but take much more effort in figuring out the t.

Since you're only asked to figure out the height, just consider everyting in y direction. Try instead using v^2 = u^2 +2ad. (v==>final velocity, u ==> initial velocity, a ==> acceleration due to gravity, negative because it's trying to stop the bullet, d ==> distance) set v = 0 since the highest point is when the bullet is no longer going up. and give it a try. (you should get some 500ish answer)

for part b, use the same equation, but set u = 0 since you're calculating the velocity of bullet going from the top of the arc to the ground in the y direction. set d = the answer you have from part a + height of the wall, a = acceleration due to gravity, postive this time because it's accelerating the bullet.

after you figure out the final velocity in y direction, you can just add it with the x-direction velocity (which haven't changed) using pythagorean theorem.

Hope that helps

Well in that case, Remember Vy = 0 at max height. if you found the time at max height, then plug it back, show me how you found the time at max height, so i can see if its ok. By the way you got an initial position, Yo = 1500 m

Ok so I figured out the height w/o using the time,
V^2 = Vi^2 +2ay and I still get 128m
Then I used the same equation to get the final velocity of y and I set the initial velocity to 0 and I got 179m/s,

Then I used the pythagorean theorem to get the final velocity 199m/s

Does that seem right?

You're not taking into account the initial Y.

I used the same Vx because it stays constant right? Vcos30= 87m/s

Vx stays constant, yes

So, was my answer right or am I still doing something wrong inthe final equation?

pinky2468 said:
Ok so I figured out the height w/o using the time,
V^2 = Vi^2 +2ay and I still get 128m

Does that seem right?

yeah, that's about right, I forgot the Sin whe I did my sketch.

I did take into account the initial y... I added it to the y I found in part a for the equation to find the final velocity of y

1. What factors determine the maximum height achieved by a projectile?

The maximum height achieved by a projectile is determined by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Air resistance and the weight of the projectile can also affect the maximum height.

2. How is the maximum height of a projectile calculated?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the equation: H = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/2g, where H is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can the maximum height of a projectile be greater than the initial height?

Yes, the maximum height of a projectile can be greater than the initial height if the angle of launch is greater than 45 degrees. This is because the upward force of the initial velocity is greater than the downward force of gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the maximum height of a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the maximum height of a projectile by slowing it down and reducing its upward force. This is more significant for objects with larger surface areas or lower velocities.

5. What is the difference between maximum height and vertical displacement of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is the highest point it reaches during its flight, while the vertical displacement is the total distance between the starting point and the highest point. The vertical displacement also takes into account the downward movement of the projectile after reaching its maximum height.