What is the Maximum Height of this projectile?

In summary, at 750m/s the projectile is in the air for 1.5 seconds, and it reaches a height of 257.7m.
EthanVandals

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched at 750 meters per second at a 30 degree angle to the horizon. How long is it in the air? How far does it go? What is the maximum height that it reaches?

Homework Equations

Sin(30)=1/2
Cos(30)=sqrt(3)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far. I believe I successfully solved for the time it was in the air, as well as how far it traveled (I used the method from Khan Academy, rather than my professor's method, since all he gave us were a bunch of equations and didn't explain which one gave what), and I came out with these answers. It would be super helpful if I could get confirmation on whether I'm correct or not. Now, the thing I'm stuck at is how high the projectile must be at its highest. I assume this means that it needs to be at the halfway point of the total displacement, but I don't know where to go from there.

W5nAFOd.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
EthanVandals said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched at 750 meters per second at a 30 degree angle to the horizon. How long is it in the air? How far does it go? What is the maximum height that it reaches?

Homework Equations

Sin(30)=1/2
Cos(30)=sqrt(3)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have so far. I believe I successfully solved for the time it was in the air, as well as how far it traveled (I used the method from Khan Academy, rather than my professor's method, since all he gave us were a bunch of equations and didn't explain which one gave what), and I came out with these answers. It would be super helpful if I could get confirmation on whether I'm correct or not. Now, the thing I'm stuck at is how high the projectile must be at its highest. I assume this means that it needs to be at the halfway point of the total displacement, but I don't know where to go from there.

W5nAFOd.jpg

I didn't explicitly check your numbers, but it looks okay.

Also, for future problems, the only thing you need to remember here is that ##F=ma## and then examine the specifics of the case. Where ##a = \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}##

In the x direction, acceleration is equal to 0, which also suggests that ##F_x## is equal to 0. So you're left with ##0=m \frac{d^2x}{dt}## Integrating a few times will give you ##v_x = v_{x0}## and ## x_x = x_{x0} + v_{x0}t## which describes it's motion completely.

In the y direction, acceleration is a constant g, which then suggests ##F_y## is equal to some constant, which happens to be mg. So ##F_y=m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}## or ##mg = m \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}## simplifying and doing the calculus leaves you with ##v_y = v_{y0} + gt## and ##x_y = x_{y0} + v_{y0}t +\frac{1}{2}gt^2##

To arrive at something like the max height equation you're simply combining equations... ##v_y^2 = v_0^2 + 2g(x_y-x_{y0})## which itself comes from a combination of the above and reasoning it out. ##x_{y0}## is your height at launch. What is the velocity at the maximum height in the y direction? Can you derive this?

Then simply solve the equation for ##x_y##

I left some work here for you, hopefully you see the importance of thinking in physics, from a three letter equation you can derive everything you need. :smile: Also, solve everything as variables before you plug in, it makes your work easier to read and you'll be less mistake prone.

Your answers are basically correct. You appear to have used 10ms-2 for g, so you should not quote any greater precision for the answers. E.g. the distance should be 50km.
Are you sure you should be using 10, rather than, say, 9.8?

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves through the air under the force of gravity. Examples of projectiles include bullets, arrows, and rockets.

2. How is maximum height of a projectile calculated?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and acceleration due to gravity. Other factors that can affect it include air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the projectile.

4. Can the maximum height of a projectile be greater than the initial height?

Yes, the maximum height of a projectile can be greater than the initial height if the launch angle is greater than 45 degrees. This is because the vertical component of the initial velocity is greater than the initial height, and the projectile will continue to rise until it reaches its maximum height.

5. How does air resistance affect the maximum height of a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the maximum height of a projectile by slowing it down and reducing its vertical velocity. This means that the projectile will not be able to reach as high of a height as it would without air resistance. The effect of air resistance is greater for objects with larger surface areas and lower densities.