What is the maximum size of a Quantum Dot?

In summary: This is both good and bad. I prefer it to the anarchy that exists on most other forums. I'd suggest you read all of the forum rules. This is one of the few forums on the internet where they are really taken seriously. This is both good and bad. I prefer it to the anarchy that exists on most other forums.In summary, the maximum size of a Quantum Dot has no fundamental limit and its naming schemes are arbitrary. The size at which we stop calling it a Quantum Dot is typically when it exceeds the Exciton Bohr Radius. However, the nomenclature of a Quantum Dot arose when its size was in the same order as an Exciton Bohr radius. It is uncertain what it would be called when
bluejay27
What is the maximum size of a Quantum Dot? What are the limits of the size of the quantum dots? At what size do we stop calling a Quantum Dot a Quantum Dot?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this homework?

There is no fundamental limit, and naming schemes are always arbitrary.

mfb said:
Is this homework?

no it is not homework. I think we stop naming a quantum dot a quantum dot when it exceeds the size of the Exciton Bohr Radius. The nomenclature of quantum dot had arisen when its size is in the same order as a Exciton Bohr radius. I wonder what we would call it when we reach to smaller sizes...

mfb said:
Is this homework?

What would have happened if this was a homework question? I just wanted to keep in check what I could post on this website. :D

mfb said:
Is this homework?

The source of my info came from

Attachments

• Britt-Quantum Dots.pdf
    931.1 KB · Views: 5,647
bluejay27 said:
What would have happened if this was a homework question?
If it had been a homework question very likely this thread would have been closed and you would have been told to

1) put your question in the homework section
2) use the homework template
3) show some work

Possibly a moderator would have moved the thread to a homework section but not likely since you showed no work.

Likes bluejay27
phinds said:
If it had been a homework question very likely this thread would have been closed and you would have been told to

1) put your question in the homework section
2) use the homework template
3) show some work

Possibly a moderator would have moved the thread to a homework section but not likely since you showed no work.
Thank you for elucidating on these details!

bluejay27 said:
Thank you for elucidating on these details!
I'd suggest you read all of the forum rules. This is one of the few forums on the internet where they are really taken seriously.

Likes bluejay27

1. What is a Quantum Dot?

A Quantum Dot is a nanoscale particle made up of semiconductor materials, typically ranging in size from 2 to 10 nanometers. These particles exhibit unique properties due to their small size, such as quantum confinement, which makes them useful for various applications in fields such as electronics, medicine, and energy.

2. How are Quantum Dots made?

Quantum Dots are typically made through a process called colloidal synthesis, where a solution containing the desired semiconductor material is heated and injected with precursors. This causes the precursors to react and form nanocrystals, which can then be coated with a protective shell to prevent them from clumping together.

3. What determines the maximum size of a Quantum Dot?

The maximum size of a Quantum Dot is determined by the size of the nanocrystal formed during the synthesis process. This size is influenced by factors such as the temperature, concentration of precursors, and the type of semiconductor material used. Generally, the larger the nanocrystal, the higher the energy bandgap and the smaller the size, the lower the energy bandgap.

4. What are the potential applications of Quantum Dots?

Quantum Dots have a wide range of potential applications due to their unique properties. Some of the most promising applications include their use in LED displays, solar cells, biomedical imaging, and quantum computing.

5. Is there a limit to the maximum size of a Quantum Dot?

Yes, there is a limit to the maximum size of a Quantum Dot. As the size of the nanocrystal increases, the quantum confinement effect decreases, and the properties of the Quantum Dot become more similar to that of bulk materials. This limit varies depending on the type of semiconductor material used, but it is generally around 10 nanometers.