• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

What is the maximum speed that an object must reach to satisfy minimum transit time?

Thanks, I did it by saying that the max velocity is when the velocity is constant. I showed it with the SUVAT equations, hope it is right.

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Thanks, I did it by saying that the max velocity is when the velocity is constant. I showed it with the SUVAT equations, hope it is right.
That doesn't work if the question intends what I think it does, as laid out in post #39.
With no acceleration, it can never start to move.

That doesn't work if the question intends what I think it does, as laid out in post #39.
With no acceleration, it can never start to move.
But if it first goes with a constant acceleratio, then has constant velocity and then desaccelerate with constant acceleration, wouln't it be the max speed when the speed is constant?

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
But if it first goes with a constant acceleratio, then has constant velocity and then desaccelerate with constant acceleration, wouln't it be the max speed when the speed is constant?
Yes, but the task it minimise the total time of travel. How should you apportion the time to the three stages?