Max Speed to Move from Point A to Point B

In summary: You need to work out how long each part...Acceleration at aConstant velocityDeceleration at -awould take.
Davidllerenav
Hi, I need help with this problem:

Homework Statement

Condition: an object has to move from point A to point B in the least time possible. The distance between the points is L. The object can accelerate (decelerate) with a fixed acceleration ##a## or move with a constant speed.

What maximum speed does this object have to reach to satisfy the condition?

Homework Equations

I guess this one:
##v= \frac {ds}{dt}##

The Attempt at a Solution

If the object moves from A to B in the least time possible, that means that ##\Delta t## tends to ##0##. To find the maximum speed I need to find the moment when the object travels more dinstance in the least time. That would be the derivative of the distance ##L## with respect to ##t##, so ##lim_{\Delta t\to 0} \frac{\Delta L} {\Delta t} = \frac {dL} {dt}##. Am I right? The problem is that I don't know hot to find the maximum speed necessary. How do I find the maximum speed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Davidllerenav said:
The object can accelerate (decelerate) with a fixed acceleration to or move with a constant speed.
The question makes no sense to me. Is this the exact wording? Is it a translation?

haruspex said:
The question makes no sense to me. Is this the exact wording? Is it a translation?
It is a translation. It is ##a## instead of "to". So it would be "The object can accelerate (decelerate) with a fixed acceleration ##a## or move with a constant speed."

Last edited:
Davidllerenav said:
It is a translation. It is ##a## instead of "to". So it would be "The object can accelerate (decelerate) with a fixed acceleration ##a## or move with a constant speed."
Any constant speed or a given one? Is relativity to be taken into account?

haruspex said:
Any constant speed or a given one? Is relativity to be taken into account?
No costant speed. What do you mean with relativity?

Davidllerenav said:
No costant speed. What do you mean with relativity?
Are we limited to the speed of light?

haruspex said:
Are we limited to the speed of light?
Relativity is definitely out of the picture here.

Davidllerenav said:
No costant speed.
Sorry, I do not understand that answer. We are told we can use the constant acceleration, a, or a constant speed. Or does it mean the object can switch between the two, having started from rest?

Davidllerenav said:
Yes. Relativity is definitely out of the picture here.
If relativity is not assumed then the answer is no, we are not limited to the speed of light.

haruspex said:
Sorry, I do not understand that answer. We are told we can use the constant acceleration, a, or a constant speed. Or does it mean the object can switch between the two, having started from rest?
That's a good question. I guess that it meas that we can use the constant acceleration or the constant speed, since it doesn't say anithing about it starting from rest.

Davidllerenav said:
That's a good question. I guess that it meas that we can use the constant acceleration or the constant speed, since it doesn't say anithing about it starting from rest.
I'm struggling to find an interpretation that makes for a reasonable question. It seems obvious just to say go at an infinite speed.

If the choice is between
(1) a given acceleration, a, starting from rest and
(2) a given constant speed v
then it will depend on the numeric relationship between a, v and L.

Maybe you have to start and finish at rest, and you can mix accelerating at a, decelerating at a, and moving at constant speed.

haruspex said:
I'm struggling to find an interpretation that makes for a reasonable question. It seems obvious just to say go at an infinite speed.
Why is it obvious? Wouldn't it be a non-constant speed then?
haruspex said:
If the choice is between
(1) a given acceleration, a, starting from rest and
(2) a given constant speed v
then it will depend on the numeric relationship between a, v and L.

Maybe you have to start and finish at rest, and you can mix accelerating at a, decelerating at a, and moving at constant speed.
I really don't know, I guess that it can start at rest, but why woudl it finish at rest?

Davidllerenav said:
Why is it obvious? Wouldn't it be a non-constant speed then?
If it does not have to start at rest then you can start at the dedired speed. If you rule out an infinite speed there is no answer, because whatever speed you pick you can do better by going faster.
Davidllerenav said:
why woudl it finish at rest?
I am suggesting that as a requirement in order to make it a reasonable question.

I agree. Question as written is too obvious. To turn it into a sensible question you must assume it starts or finishes at rest and its most likely they meant you to assume both. So the trip must be divided into three parts...

Acceleration at a
Constant velocity
Deceleration at -aYou need to work out how long each part should be to make the trip in the shortest time, and write an equation for the Max velocity achieved.

Likes jbriggs444
haruspex said:
If it does not have to start at rest then you can start at the dedired speed. If you rule out an infinite speed there is no answer, because whatever speed you pick you can do better by going faster.

I am suggesting that as a requirement in order to make it a reasonable question.
What about if relativity is considered? If the object can't go with infinite speed.

I would suggest clarification from the teacher. Like, lots of clarification and highly suggested.

Also, is the answer to be found using calculus? or would simple kinematic equations do.

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
I would suggest clarification from the teacher. Like, lots of clarification and highly suggested.

Also, is the answer to be found using calculus? or would simple kinematic equations do.
I guess kinematics. Since the last topic we saw was Galilean transformation.

hmmm27 said:
Whatever the intent, calculus would be overkill.
And you mean kinetics; kinematics is something else.

haruspex said:
Whatever the intent, calculus would be overkill.
Unless it was a math, not physics, class.
And you mean kinetics; kinematics is something else.
o:) LOL, I was wondering about that the other day : apologies for adding to existing confusion.

Wait, what ?:wideeyed:

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
Unless it was a math, not physics, class.

o:) LOL, I was wondering about that the other day : apologies for adding to existing confusion.

Wait, what ?
Kinematics is not concerned with masses or forces. It is sometimes described as the geometry of motion. E.g. in a mechanical linkage it addresses how the components are constrained to move in relation to each other.

The OP's question appears to be easily solveable (once the missing bits are found) with "kinematics equations", found in Wikipedia or our own reference post : time, distance, velocity (and acceleration).

Last edited:
Likes CWatters
haruspex said:
Kinematics is not concerned with masses or forces. It is sometimes described as the geometry of motion. E.g. in a mechanical linkage it addresses how the components are constrained to move in relation to each other.
But I think that we need to use kinematics, because we haven't see dynamics yet. Kinectics and dynamics are the same, right?

Davidllerenav said:
But I think that we need to use kinematics, because we haven't see dynamics yet. Kinectics and dynamics are the same, right?
I erred.
I am used to people referring to kinematics in the context of questions involving accelerations resulting from torques and forces. In the present case, we are unconcerned with such - it is purely a question of the relationships between position, velocity, acceleration and time.

haruspex said:
I erred.
I am used to people referring to kinematics in the context of questions involving accelerations resulting from torques and forces. In the present case, we are unconcerned with such - it is purely a question of the relationships between position, velocity, acceleration and time.
Exactly. So, If the answer would be infinite speed with no relativity. If now we are limited by speed of light, what would be the answer?

Davidllerenav said:
Exactly. So, If the answer would be infinite speed with no relativity. If now we are limited by speed of light, what would be the answer?
I think you can make a stab at that.

haruspex said:
I think you can make a stab at that.
I guess that it would be when it is near B, because it is under constant acceleration.

Davidllerenav said:
I guess that it would be when it is near B, because it is under constant acceleration.
When what is near B? When A is near B? A and B are given, you can't move them.
It is a very simple question - if you want to get there ASAP, and your speed is limited only by the speed of light, what speed do you have to go at (as near as possible)?

haruspex said:
When what is near B? When A is near B? A and B are given, you can't move them.
It is a very simple question - if you want to get there ASAP, and your speed is limited only by the speed of light, what speed do you have to go at (as near as possible)?
When the object moving from A to B is near B, because it is under a constant acceleration.
To answer your question, it would be as near as the speed of light.

Davidllerenav said:
When the object moving from A to B is near B, because it is under a constant acceleration.
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Davidllerenav said:
To answer your question, it would be as near as [possible to] the speed of light.
Yes.

haruspex said:
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.
I'll try to explain myself better. The objecc is moving from A to B, starting at rest with a constant acceleration a until it reaches B. So the fastest the object will be traveling would be when it gets to point B.

Davidllerenav said:
The objecc is moving from A to B, starting at rest with a constant acceleration a
My comment about relativity and infinite speed was in the context of the constant speed case.
For constant acceleration it gets a bit tricky. Not sure what that means within relativity.

haruspex said:
My comment about relativity and infinite speed was in the context of the constant speed case.
For constant acceleration it gets a bit tricky. Not sure what that means within relativity.
So, if in the case of constant speed, the object speed must be near the speed of light.

Davidllerenav said:
So, if in the case of constant speed, the object speed must be near the speed of light.
Yes, depending on what exactly the question was intended to say.

haruspex said:
Yes, depending on what exactly the question was intended to say.
I really don't know that the questio was trying to say. So well, I guess that there arte those two cases.

You seem to be making this problem much harder than it is. I very much doubt they intended you to think about limitations due to the speed of light!

It starts from A at rest and accelerates at "a". At some point it must stop accelerating and start to decelerate at "a" in order to be at rest at B.

A few basic equations of motion (eg SUVAT) and you are done.

Likes hmmm27
<h2>1. What factors affect the max speed to move from point A to point B?</h2><p>The max speed to move from point A to point B is affected by several factors, including the distance between the two points, the terrain or surface being traveled on, the mode of transportation, and any external factors such as weather conditions or traffic.</p><h2>2. How does the distance between point A and point B impact the max speed?</h2><p>The distance between point A and point B can greatly impact the max speed, as longer distances may require more time for acceleration and deceleration, and may also have more obstacles or turns that can slow down the overall speed.</p><h2>3. Does the mode of transportation affect the max speed?</h2><p>Yes, the mode of transportation can greatly impact the max speed. For example, a car may have a higher max speed than a bicycle, while a plane may have a higher max speed than a car. The type of vehicle and its capabilities will determine the max speed for traveling from point A to point B.</p><h2>4. How do external factors such as weather conditions or traffic affect the max speed?</h2><p>External factors such as weather conditions or traffic can greatly impact the max speed. For example, heavy rain or snow may decrease the max speed due to reduced visibility and slippery roads. Traffic congestion can also slow down the max speed, as vehicles may need to slow down or stop frequently.</p><h2>5. Is there an optimal max speed for traveling from point A to point B?</h2><p>The optimal max speed for traveling from point A to point B will vary depending on the specific circumstances. In some cases, a slower speed may be more efficient and safe, while in other cases, a higher speed may be necessary to reach the destination in a timely manner. It is important to consider all factors and choose a safe and appropriate max speed for the specific situation.</p>

1. What factors affect the max speed to move from point A to point B?

The max speed to move from point A to point B is affected by several factors, including the distance between the two points, the terrain or surface being traveled on, the mode of transportation, and any external factors such as weather conditions or traffic.

2. How does the distance between point A and point B impact the max speed?

The distance between point A and point B can greatly impact the max speed, as longer distances may require more time for acceleration and deceleration, and may also have more obstacles or turns that can slow down the overall speed.

3. Does the mode of transportation affect the max speed?

Yes, the mode of transportation can greatly impact the max speed. For example, a car may have a higher max speed than a bicycle, while a plane may have a higher max speed than a car. The type of vehicle and its capabilities will determine the max speed for traveling from point A to point B.

4. How do external factors such as weather conditions or traffic affect the max speed?

External factors such as weather conditions or traffic can greatly impact the max speed. For example, heavy rain or snow may decrease the max speed due to reduced visibility and slippery roads. Traffic congestion can also slow down the max speed, as vehicles may need to slow down or stop frequently.

5. Is there an optimal max speed for traveling from point A to point B?

The optimal max speed for traveling from point A to point B will vary depending on the specific circumstances. In some cases, a slower speed may be more efficient and safe, while in other cases, a higher speed may be necessary to reach the destination in a timely manner. It is important to consider all factors and choose a safe and appropriate max speed for the specific situation.