Max Speed to Move from Point A to Point B

In summary: You need to work out how long each part...Acceleration at aConstant velocityDeceleration at -awould take.
CWatters said:
You seem to be making this problem much harder than it is. I very much doubt they intended you to think about limitations due to the speed of light!

It starts from A at rest and accelerates at "a". At some point it must stop accelerating and start to decelerate at "a" in order to be at rest at B.

A few basic equations of motion (eg SUVAT) and you are done.
I asked my teacher today. He said that indeed it start ar rest and accelerates at a and at somep point it decelerate at a in order to be at rest at B. He said that there arte two cases and that I need to choose one and explain why. So yes, I can use SUVAT equations. Which are the two cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
Davidllerenav said:
it start ar rest and accelerates at a and at somep point it decelerate at a in order to be at rest at B
Pity that wasn't stated in the first place.
So turn that into some equations.
Davidllerenav said:
Which are the two cases?
Unless there is also a max allowed speed, I can only think of one case.

Not trying to be funny, but are you and the instructor both native speakers of the same language ?

The "two cases" are:

1) constant velocity gets there in the least amount of time
2) symmetrical acc/deceleration gets there in the least amount of time.

Pick one (or both) and state the condition - which includes the term "maximum velocity" - that makes it true.

hmmm27 said:
1) constant velocity gets there in the least amount of time
Given the clarification that it starts and finishes at rest, I don't see how that can be a sensible case.
Also, we've seen no mention of a maximum velocity, so dropping the start and finish at rest constraint for the constant speed case doesn't help.
If we were given a max speed the answer would depend on the relationship between that, the acceleration a and the distance.

This leaves the view that
- it starts and finishes at rest
- in between, any mix of accelerating at a, decelerating at a, and constant speed
But I count that as one case, not two.

I think "choosing a case" means arbitrarily picking either "cv wins" or "acc/dec wins", then working backwards to state the condition(s) that makes it so.

hmmm27 said:
I think choosing a "case" means arbitrarily picking either "cv wins" or "acc/dec wins", then working backwards to state the condition(s) that makes it so.
Effectively turning it into this model:
haruspex said:
If we were given a max speed the answer would depend on the relationship between that, the acceleration a and the distance.
...maybe.

haruspex said:
Pity that wasn't stated in the first place.
So turn that into some equations.

Unless there is also a max allowed speed, I can only think of one case.
Ok, can I use ##s=v_0 t+\frac{1}{2}at^2##? And it will end up being ##s=\frac{1}{2}at^2## since ##v_0=0##?

Davidllerenav said:
Ok, can I use ##s=v_0 t+\frac{1}{2}at^2##? And it will end up being ##s=\frac{1}{2}at^2## since ##v_0=0##?
Ok, but how are you using it, i.e. what is s here?

haruspex said:
Ok, but how are you using it, i.e. what is s here?
Well, ##s## can't be ##L##, because it isn't accelerating all way through, it would be the distance before it starts desaccelerating. Whn it starts desaccelerating, it would be ##s=v_0 t-\frac{1}{2}at^2##, right?

Davidllerenav said:
Well, ##s## can't be ##L##, because it isn't accelerating all way through, it would be the distance before it starts desaccelerating. Whn it starts desaccelerating, it would be ##s=v_0 t-\frac{1}{2}at^2##, right?
Yes.

haruspex said:
Yes.
Ok. But what should I replace on the variables? Or should I just leave those two equations?

Davidllerenav said:
Ok. But what should I replace on the variables? Or should I just leave those two equations?
No, you must answer using the given variables L and a.
Use your two equations to find out when you have to switch to decelerating.

The only two cases I can think of are..

1) Accelerate, constant velocity, decelerate
2) Accelerate, decelerate with no constant velocity phase.

CWatters said:
The only two cases I can think of are..

1) Accelerate, constant velocity, decelerate
2) Accelerate, decelerate with no constant velocity phase.
But isn't the second just a special case of the first?

Indeed. But it's the best I can come up with for "two cases".

Thanks, I did it by saying that the max velocity is when the velocity is constant. I showed it with the SUVAT equations, hope it is right.

Davidllerenav said:
Thanks, I did it by saying that the max velocity is when the velocity is constant. I showed it with the SUVAT equations, hope it is right.
That doesn't work if the question intends what I think it does, as laid out in post #39.
With no acceleration, it can never start to move.

haruspex said:
That doesn't work if the question intends what I think it does, as laid out in post #39.
With no acceleration, it can never start to move.
But if it first goes with a constant acceleratio, then has constant velocity and then desaccelerate with constant acceleration, wouln't it be the max speed when the speed is constant?

Davidllerenav said:
But if it first goes with a constant acceleratio, then has constant velocity and then desaccelerate with constant acceleration, wouln't it be the max speed when the speed is constant?
Yes, but the task it minimise the total time of travel. How should you apportion the time to the three stages?

Likes CWatters
<h2>1. What factors affect the max speed to move from point A to point B?</h2><p>The max speed to move from point A to point B is affected by several factors, including the distance between the two points, the terrain or surface being traveled on, the mode of transportation, and any external factors such as weather conditions or traffic.</p><h2>2. How does the distance between point A and point B impact the max speed?</h2><p>The distance between point A and point B can greatly impact the max speed, as longer distances may require more time for acceleration and deceleration, and may also have more obstacles or turns that can slow down the overall speed.</p><h2>3. Does the mode of transportation affect the max speed?</h2><p>Yes, the mode of transportation can greatly impact the max speed. For example, a car may have a higher max speed than a bicycle, while a plane may have a higher max speed than a car. The type of vehicle and its capabilities will determine the max speed for traveling from point A to point B.</p><h2>4. How do external factors such as weather conditions or traffic affect the max speed?</h2><p>External factors such as weather conditions or traffic can greatly impact the max speed. For example, heavy rain or snow may decrease the max speed due to reduced visibility and slippery roads. Traffic congestion can also slow down the max speed, as vehicles may need to slow down or stop frequently.</p><h2>5. Is there an optimal max speed for traveling from point A to point B?</h2><p>The optimal max speed for traveling from point A to point B will vary depending on the specific circumstances. In some cases, a slower speed may be more efficient and safe, while in other cases, a higher speed may be necessary to reach the destination in a timely manner. It is important to consider all factors and choose a safe and appropriate max speed for the specific situation.</p>

1. What factors affect the max speed to move from point A to point B?

The max speed to move from point A to point B is affected by several factors, including the distance between the two points, the terrain or surface being traveled on, the mode of transportation, and any external factors such as weather conditions or traffic.

2. How does the distance between point A and point B impact the max speed?

The distance between point A and point B can greatly impact the max speed, as longer distances may require more time for acceleration and deceleration, and may also have more obstacles or turns that can slow down the overall speed.

3. Does the mode of transportation affect the max speed?

Yes, the mode of transportation can greatly impact the max speed. For example, a car may have a higher max speed than a bicycle, while a plane may have a higher max speed than a car. The type of vehicle and its capabilities will determine the max speed for traveling from point A to point B.

4. How do external factors such as weather conditions or traffic affect the max speed?

External factors such as weather conditions or traffic can greatly impact the max speed. For example, heavy rain or snow may decrease the max speed due to reduced visibility and slippery roads. Traffic congestion can also slow down the max speed, as vehicles may need to slow down or stop frequently.

5. Is there an optimal max speed for traveling from point A to point B?

The optimal max speed for traveling from point A to point B will vary depending on the specific circumstances. In some cases, a slower speed may be more efficient and safe, while in other cases, a higher speed may be necessary to reach the destination in a timely manner. It is important to consider all factors and choose a safe and appropriate max speed for the specific situation.