What is the frequency of a SHM with a given time period?

In summary, the given problem involves a SHM graph with displacement and time as the axes, where the initial displacement is 0.05m and the time period is 1.2 seconds. The question asks for the maximum velocity. To solve this, one needs to use the equation for velocity, which can be derived by differentiating the equation for displacement with respect to time. The frequency can also be calculated from the given time period.
Boden1563

Homework Statement

SHM graph with displacement/time as the axes. Initial displacement is 0.05m and the time period is 1.2seconds. What is the maximum velocity?

Homework Equations

Just want this section please so I can complete the question by myself.

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Physics news on Phys.org
f = 1/T ? What would that produce? Let the units help you define the equation. You are trying to calculate a velocity, that requires the equation to produce units in m/s.

Thanks
Matt

Yeah that was a bit of a brain-fart, since then I have altered the initial post. I know I need displacement and time to give me a speed but surely its not as simple as d/t to give me 'maximum' speed.

thanks

Alex

How does the displacement of the object vary with time?
All you have to do then, is to differentiate the expression to obtain a similar one for the object's velocity.

Boden1563,

Do you know how to calculate the frequency from the given value of the period?

Thanks
Matt

1. What is the maximum velocity?

The maximum velocity is the highest speed that an object can reach in a given situation. It is usually measured in meters per second or kilometers per hour.

2. How is maximum velocity calculated?

Maximum velocity is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. This is known as the average velocity. To calculate the maximum velocity, you also need to consider the acceleration of the object.

3. What factors affect the maximum velocity of an object?

The maximum velocity of an object can be affected by several factors, including the object's mass, the force applied to it, and the resistance of the medium it is moving through.

4. Can an object exceed its maximum velocity?

In most situations, an object cannot exceed its maximum velocity. This is because as an object's velocity increases, the force of resistance also increases, making it more difficult for the object to accelerate further.

5. How does air resistance affect the maximum velocity of an object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the maximum velocity of an object. As an object moves through the air, it experiences a force that opposes its motion, making it more difficult for the object to accelerate and reach its maximum velocity.