What is the Meaning of Life for You?

• Thread starter penguinraider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, from a biological standpoint, the meaning of life boils down to survival and reproduction. Anything beyond that is just speculation. Religious theories deal with morals. The question you ask comes up fairly often in the philosophy forum here and with a little effort you can find these threads and get a greater amount of opinions than your thread may create. Some people believe that the meaning of life is to find out what life means to them, while others believe that there are no absolutes in this matter and that the choice is yours to adopt whatever thoughts on the matter as you see fit.
penguinraider
Ive been absent for a while trying to find this out, and I've come back and everybody's talking about it so I must assume everyone knows...

Really, I just want to hear your different opinions.

Physics news on Phys.org
A sub-par Monty Python movie.

sad... oh so sad...

Meaning of life

penguinraider said:
Ive been absent for a while trying to find this out, and I've come back and everybody's talking about it so I must assume everyone knows...

Really, I just want to hear your different opinions.

From a purely a biological standpoint it seems the meaning (purpose) of life boils down to survival and reproduction. Anything beyond that is just speculation. It seems that evolution is producing organisms that, over time have developed greater self awareness. Self awareness seems to be a sort of learning process. Religous theories deal with morals. The question you ask comes up fairly often in the philosophy forum here and with a little effort you can find these threads and get a greater amount of opinions than your thread may create.
RAD

Whatever you think it is.

I agree with RAD; from a biological point of view, you are just an information carrier, and your sole function is try and pass on the torch that is your DNA.

But, to quote Descartes, "Cogito ergo sum." I think, therefore I am.

Perhaps we can reverse that famous quote by saying: "I am, therefore I think"; and subsequently deriving the purpose of life from it.

The bigger question here is - Is there a meaning to life at all? Our existence serves no purpose. Wether we exist or not makes no difference in the universe. Everything we do, from our basic urges to our most complex achievements, is simply a consequence of something else.

I disagree. Whatever we do has an absolute and irreversible difference on the universe; in fact, simply by the fact that we exist does.

hmm... Touche

It has always been my belief that the meaning of life is find out what life means to you.

I do not believe that what life means to me has to be the same as everybody else in the world.

I could tell you what life means to me, but does that help you out at all? In the end, there are no absolutes in this matter, and the choice is yours to adopt whatever thoughts on the matter as you see fit, but don't you think you'd rather live your life under your ideas, rather then somebody else's?

What is the meaning of life?

The meaning of life is a philosophical question that has been pondered by humans for centuries. It refers to the purpose or significance of human existence.

Is there a universal meaning of life?

There is no definitive answer to this question, as beliefs and opinions vary among individuals and cultures. Some people believe in a universal meaning of life, while others think that each person must create their own meaning.

Does science have an answer to the meaning of life?

Science deals with empirical evidence and cannot provide a definitive answer to the meaning of life. However, science can offer insights into the origins of life and the universe, which can contribute to understanding our place in the world.

Can the meaning of life change?

The concept of the meaning of life is subjective and can change throughout a person's lifetime. As individuals experience different things and gain new perspectives, their understanding of the meaning of life may evolve.

How can I find meaning in my life?

Finding meaning in life is a personal journey and can be different for everyone. Some people find meaning through relationships, others through career or personal accomplishments. It is important to explore one's values, passions, and goals to find what brings meaning to their life.