What is the meaning of "modulated physical systems"?

In summary, the conversation discusses the paper "Theory of dynamic response functions of periodically modulated physical systems" by Lovesey et al. and the concept of a "modulated system." The speaker's thesis advisor recommended the paper, but the title does not provide enough information about the concept. The speaker suggests looking at the first few paragraphs or an earlier paper to understand the terminology and equations used in the model. The speaker also mentions that the term "periodically modulated" may refer to a periodic external driving force. They request an image of the first few paragraphs for better understanding.
gobarriga
In particular I'm studying the paper "Theory of dynamic response functions of periodically modulated physical systems" by Lovesey et al. and "modulated system" are mentioned many times.
My thesis advisor recommend to me reed this paper but is very confuse, any reference you can give me in relation to the title of this paper will be very helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
The title of the paper does not give enough information to answer this question. Most likely the concept is defined within the first few paragraphs, and the equations there will tell you what the model is. Alternately, sometimes an author will instead refer you to an earlier paper where the important terminology is described.

My guess is that "periodically modulated" means there is a periodic external driving force or input. But I am just guessing.

Can you provide an image of the first few paragraphs? That's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

1. What does it mean for a physical system to be modulated?

Modulation refers to the process of changing or varying a physical system's properties or behavior in a controlled manner. This can involve altering parameters such as frequency, amplitude, or phase to achieve a desired outcome.

2. How are physical systems modulated?

Physical systems can be modulated through various methods such as using electrical signals, mechanical means, or even through biological processes. The specific method used will depend on the type of system and the desired outcome.

3. What is the purpose of modulating physical systems?

The purpose of modulating physical systems is often to manipulate or enhance their functionality. This can be used to improve performance, optimize efficiency, or achieve a specific goal or outcome.

4. Can modulated physical systems occur naturally?

Yes, modulated physical systems can occur naturally in various forms. For example, the human body uses modulation in the nervous system to control muscle movements and in the endocrine system to regulate hormone levels.

5. What are some real-world applications of modulated physical systems?

Modulated physical systems have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, medicine, and telecommunications. Some examples include using modulation in radio communication to transmit signals, using it in medical devices to control drug delivery, and using it in power systems to improve energy efficiency.