What is the meaning of the word "resolved"?

• B
  • Thread starter Haorong Wu
  • Start date
In summary, the word "resolved" can have multiple meanings depending on the context. In some cases, it can mean to break up or separate into distinct parts, while in others it can mean to come to a decision or determination. It can also mean to solve or answer a problem or mystery. The best way to understand its meaning is to study its usage in different sources.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
What is the meaning of the word "resolved"?
I have a hard time in understanding "resolved" in phrases as "resolved sideband laser cooling", "the traveling wave is well resolved", "spectrally resolved", etc.

In my opinion, "resolved" means something that is determined. But I can not relate this meaning to the phrases. Do "resolved" mean something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
Summary: What is the meaning of the word "resolved"?

I have a hard time in understanding "resolved" in phrases as "resolved sideband laser cooling", "the traveling wave is well resolved", "spectrally resolved", etc.

In my opinion, "resolved" means something that is determined. But I can not relate this meaning to the phrases. Do "resolved" mean something else?
It can also mean "separated into components". Did you even look it up in a dictionary?

Likes Haorong Wu
phinds said:
It can also mean "separated into components". Did you even look it up in a dictionary?

Thanks, phinds. I am sorry I look it up in the google. It told me that

adjective
adjective: resolved
  1. firmly determined to do something.
Also, I tried a app in China, it told me

resolved /ri'zɔlvd/
  • adj.
      determined
      she was firmly resolved to be a doctor
      近义词:single-minded
      explained or answered
      mysteries solved and unsolved
      problems resolved and unresolved
      近义词:solved

I guess it is a bad choice to try them. @_@

mfb said:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/resolved

2a) break up, separate:
"the prism resolved the light into a play of color"
2c) to distinguish between or make independently visible adjacent parts of

Thanks, mfb. I understand that it means something get split into different parts and these parts can be distinguished clearly from each other.

This is the meaning associated with the word "resolution". As in the resolution of a microscope or other instrument.

Likes Haorong Wu
Haorong Wu said:
I guess it is a bad choice to try them. @_@
Not "bad", just unlucky to be dealing with a language like English that has multiple meanings for so many words. The lesson is that you need to look at a number of different sources is you want half a chance of getting the (sometimes highly nuanced) meanings out of English words and phrases.

Personally, I can see no understandable connection between 'resolution' when someone is determined to do something and the 'resolution' when we can spot the difference between two things. Then there is the 'resolved' when an argument or problem is resolved - or 'solved'- which is a third possible meaning / use of the word.

Etymology can be good fun but is a very unreliable source for 'knowing what to say'. Studying usage is a better way, imo. That means a lot of reading of many different sources and styles of text. (That probably implies using Books, rather than the sloppy old Internet.)

Likes phinds

1. What does the word "resolved" mean?

The word "resolved" means to come to a definite decision or solution after considering all aspects of a situation.

2. Can "resolved" have different meanings in different contexts?

Yes, the meaning of "resolved" can vary depending on the context in which it is used. It can refer to resolving a conflict, resolving a problem, or making a firm decision.

3. Is "resolved" a commonly used word in scientific research?

Yes, "resolved" is a frequently used word in scientific research. It is often used to describe the outcome or conclusion of an experiment or study.

4. How is "resolved" different from "solved"?

The word "resolved" is often used in a broader sense than "solved." While "solved" typically refers to finding a solution to a specific problem, "resolved" can also refer to reaching a decision or coming to terms with a situation.

5. Can you provide an example of "resolved" in a scientific context?

Sure, a study on the effects of a new medication may have a conclusion that states, "After analyzing the data, it was resolved that the new medication is effective in reducing symptoms of the disease."