What is the minimum mass of the barbell without tipping?

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum mass of a barbell in order for a weight to be slid onto one end without tipping off the rack. The barbell is a uniform rod and is supported by racks located a fifth of its length from each end. The solution involves using the equation for the sum of all torques and finding the center of mass of the bar and the weight. The mass of the bar is not specified in the problem and must be calculated.
Luke0034

Homework Statement

Typical weight sets used for bodybuilding consist of disk-shaped weights with holes in the center that can slide onto 2.20 m long barbells. A barbell is supported by racks located a fifth of its length from each end, as shown in the figure. What is the minimum mass m of the barbell if a bodybuilder is to slide a weight with = 22.0 kg onto the end without the barbell tipping off the rack? Assume that the barbell is a uniform rod.

Homework Equations

sum of all torques = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make the the intersection of the barbell and the left rack the pivot point. Then I found the torque of the weight, the center of mass of the bar, and then the 2nd rack, but I came out with the wrong answer. I think I'm on the right track on how to do it, but I'm not sure where I'm messing up. Explanation would be helpful... studying for an upcoming test. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Make sure the problem statement is complete. What about the mass of the bar ?
2. show your calculation work in detail

Good luck !

BvU said:
1. Make sure the problem statement is complete. What about the mass of the bar ?

Good luck !

I'll try to find the page I did this on, but the mass of the bar is what I'm trying to find.

BvU said:

Good luck !

Never mind, I got the answer myself haha.

Luke0034 said:
Never mind, I got the answer myself haha.
Can you provide the mass of the bar so others can work the problem if they come across this thread?

1. What is the definition of "minimum mass" in this context?

The minimum mass of a barbell without tipping refers to the least amount of weight that can be placed on one end of the barbell without causing it to tip over.

2. How is the minimum mass of a barbell determined?

The minimum mass of a barbell is determined by calculating the center of mass of the barbell and its weight distribution. This can be done through mathematical equations or physical experiments.

3. What factors affect the minimum mass of a barbell?

The minimum mass of a barbell can be affected by the length of the barbell, the weight of the bar itself, the weight distribution of the plates on either end, and the stability of the base on which the barbell is placed.

4. Can the minimum mass of a barbell vary for different individuals?

Yes, the minimum mass of a barbell can vary for different individuals depending on their strength, balance, and technique. A person with stronger muscles and better balance may be able to handle a slightly lower minimum mass compared to someone with weaker muscles and poorer balance.

5. How can the minimum mass of a barbell be increased?

The minimum mass of a barbell can be increased by adding more weight to one or both ends of the barbell. This will change the center of mass of the barbell and make it more stable. Additionally, using a shorter barbell or adjusting the weight distribution of the plates can also increase the minimum mass.