What is the moment of inertia of the ball about the axis of rotation?

In summary, a solid sphere of 0.15m diameter and 0.5kg mass rolls without slipping down a 0.81m high ramp on a table with a height of 1.40 meters. The moment of inertia of the ball about the axis of rotation is 0.001125 kg*m^2 and the angular speed when it reaches the table top is 44.68 rad/sec. The initial velocity of the ball when it leaves the table is 5.147m/s in the direction of \pm v_{x} \hat{i}. The distance traveled by the ball when it leaves the table is 2.75 meters.
buffgilville
A solid sphere of diameter 0.15m and mass 0.5kg is released and rolls without slipping down the ramp. The ramp is 0.81m high and is on a table. The table has a height of 1.40 meters. The balls move freely once it leaves the table.

a) What is the moment of inertia of the ball about the axis of rotation?
I = (2/5)(0.5kg)(0.075)^2 = 0.001125 kg*m^2

b) Find the angular speed of the ball when it reaches the table top.
Potential energy = Kinetic Energy
(0.5)(9.81)(0.81) = (1/2)(0.001125)w^2 ---> w=84.04 rad/sec.

c) Find the initial velocity (magnitude and direction) of the ball when it leaves the table.
Total Energy = 0 = (1/2)(0.5)(v)^2 - (1/2)(0.001125)(84.04)^2
velocity = 3.987m/s
How do I find the direction?

d) Find the distance d (distance ball travels when it left the table).
x = vt + (1/2)at^2
-1.40y + dx = (3.987x)t + (-4.905y)t^2
x: d = 3.987t
y: -1.40 = -4.905t^2 ----> t=0.534sec.
d=3.987(0.534) ----> d=2.13meters

Are my answers correct? Did I do anything wrong? Please help. Thanks! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember when both movement (linear and rotational) are combined

[tex] K = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}_{cm} + \frac{1}{2}I_{cm} \omega^2 [/tex]

You can rearrange this to find [itex] \omega [/itex]

remember [itex] v = \omega r [/itex]

[tex] K = \frac{1}{2}m \omega^{2} r^{2} + \frac{1}{2}I_{cm} \omega^2 [/tex]

ok, so
b) w = 44.92 rad/sec
c) Would the initial velocity of the ball when it leaves the table still be 3.987m/s?

You only considered linear movement kinetic energy, you have an object with linear and rotational motion. Refer to my post for [itex] \Delta K [/itex] You can express the direction by using [itex] \pm v_{x} \hat{i} [/itex]

Last edited:
Ok, I redid the problem considering, like you said, the kinetic energy of both linear and rotational movement.

so,
(0.5)(9.81)(0.81) = (1/2)(0.5)(0.075^2)(w^2) + (1/2)(0.001125)w^2 ---> w=44.68 rad/sec.

and velocity when the ball leaves the table is 5.147m/s

and d = 2.75meters

right?

can someone please check my work?

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also known as rotational inertia or angular mass.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is similar to mass in that it measures an object's resistance to changes in motion. However, mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in linear motion, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion.

3. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. The equation is I = mr^2, where I is moment of inertia, m is mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect an object's rotation?

The moment of inertia affects an object's rotation by determining how easily it can be rotated. Objects with a higher moment of inertia require more force to rotate, while objects with a lower moment of inertia require less force to rotate.

5. Can the moment of inertia change?

Yes, the moment of inertia can change depending on the distribution of mass in an object. For example, a solid sphere has a different moment of inertia than a hollow sphere with the same mass and radius. Additionally, the moment of inertia can change if the axis of rotation is moved or if the mass of the object is changed.