What is the most amount of alcohol you drank in 1 day?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alcohol
In summary: I was pretty wasted, so it's hard to remember. All I know is that I woke up the next day in a hospital bed with a terrible headache, vertigo, and nausea. :yuck:
gravenewworld
Me: half a bottle of 151 and a 1/4 bottle of tequila. Also 3/4 of a 5th of JD.

Yes it was dumb and yes I was very sick the next day. Next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Four shots of whiskey in about 2 hours. The room was spinning, and I was vomiting. It was nearly 40 years ago and I have never repeated it. Rarely do I have two drinks in the same week now.

Probably a bottle of wine. I've never thrown up from alcohol, and honestly probably have never had more than six or seven drinks in an entire night out.

- Warren

I *think* it was a few beers, a couple shots of tequila and a shot of Canadian whiskey, and yep, I was VERY sick, and VERY hungover, and the details are a bit fuzzy of just how much I had to drink. The experience has NOT been repeated (it was quite a lot of years ago now).

Don't know, I got way too drunk to keep track, but I do recall that my buddies wouldn't allow me to even ride in the dune buggy. I remember that it started raining on me while I was in my sleeping bag. I remember trying to keep warm in this little puddle right next to me.

It wasn't rainwater.

That was thirty years ago and I haven't really drank much since then.

Last edited:
Actually, I lied! I did get really sick one night. I repressed the memory, I guess...

I went to an giant camp-on-the-beach night down here, and had way too much vodka and cranberry. I don't even know how many, but two people finished more than half the bottle in one night. I didn't have any major problems that night (but my girlfriend? she was a different story...) but had to drive home over the Santa Cruz mountains in the morning.

The twisty road pretty quickly led to a twisty stomach. I took an exit into the ritzy community of Los Gatos, found a spot on the shoulder to park, and got out of the car just in the nick of time. I had two objects to choose from in the immediate vicinity of the car: a trashcan and a pretty little tree planted along the sidewalk. Of course, in my haste, I decided... to vomit on the tree. No, I don't really know why. It was about 7 am on a bright, clear Saturday morning, and I'm sure at least ten joggers saw me paint the little sapling pink.

Needless to say, I've never had a vodka and cranberry since.

- Warren

While it wasn't by any means the most that I've consumed in a day, the one that nearly killed me was 26 Black Russians one evening (that's when a drink was 1 3/4 ounces). I think that it was the sugar more than the alcohol that done me in, since I was diabetic at the time.
Nowadays, I'll regularly slam back at least a dozen beers on a Saturday or Sunday, and have half a dozen or so after work every day. Then there's the 'sleeping pill' of about 4 ounces of Scotch at bed-time.

chroot said:
Needless to say, I've never had a vodka and cranberry since.

- Warren

Conditioned taste aversion is a powerful thing. It's been about 10 years since my incident with whiskey (that was the last thing I remembered tasting...both directions :yuck:) and I'm only just starting to be able to drink things with whiskey in them, but ONLY if it's VERY dilute. For years, just the smell of anything in the family of whiskey, bourbon or scotch would turn my stomach. But, I got a recipe for Jack Daniel's bbq sauce, and it has become one of my favorite bbq sauces, so I think I'm finally on the road to recovery. I used to LOVE drinks like whiskey sours and Lynchburg lemonade, but haven't been able to touch them for about a decade now.

Moonbear said:
Conditioned taste aversion is a powerful thing.
Peppermint schnapps! My freshman roommate lost a drinking contest one of our dorm mates. He insisted that I "uphold the honor of the room" and challenge the winner's roommate to a drinking contest. He chose a quart of peppermint schnapps, shot for shot.

Unfortunately, I won.

D H said:
Peppermint schnapps! My freshman roommate lost a drinking contest one of our dorm mates. He insisted that I "uphold the honor of the room" and challenge the winner's roommate to a drinking contest. He chose a quart of peppermint schnapps, shot for shot.

Unfortunately, I won.

:yuck: I don't think I could drink peppermint schnapps anyway. Maybe in a cup of hot cocoa in winter, but certainly not as shots! :yuck:

My best estimate based on what people told me afterwards, was that I had about 2 liters (that's about half a gallon for you Americans) of Vodka in one night, as well as about 2/3 of a bottle of wine. Best part is I felt fine the next day.

I threw a bunch of it up, which is probably the only reason I never ended up in the hospital.

I use to be able to put down a 20-pack in a night no problem, but those days are long gone.

Danger said:
While it wasn't by any means the most that I've consumed in a day, the one that nearly killed me was 26 Black Russians one evening (that's when a drink was 1 3/4 ounces). I think that it was the sugar more than the alcohol that done me in, since I was diabetic at the time.
Nowadays, I'll regularly slam back at least a dozen beers on a Saturday or Sunday, and have half a dozen or so after work every day. Then there's the 'sleeping pill' of about 4 ounces of Scotch at bed-time.

Damn. Must be Canadian.

gravenewworld said:
Damn. Must be Canadian.

It was the accent that gave it away, eh?

I once drank a litre of whisky in a day. It never put me off. I still love whisky. Yes I'm stupid.

Last edited:
gravenewworld said:
Damn. Must be Canadian.
I'll regularly slam back at least a dozen beers on a Saturday or Sunday, and have half a dozen or so after work every day. Then there's the 'sleeping pill' of about 4 ounces of Scotch at bed-time.
Many cultures are proud of their stomach for large amounts of alcohol. I was with a few guys three weeks ago, and the first one said that he used to drink about as much as Danger, but he doesn't any more, except when he goes down to Mexico to see his brother and his old friends. He said it was "Mexican," "what Mexican doesn't drink, you know man" The guy standing next to me was from South Korea and concurred: "Yeah, Koreans too." I imagine if there was a German there, he would have said Germans drink a lot of beer, Japanese would say lots of Saki, Russians would say vodka shots, and etc.

I think like half a beer or something? Or half a glass of champagne, whichever is more.

Yeah, I really hate alcohol. Just fills my mouth with this super bitter taste and I can't stand it. Same with coffee and grapefruit.

I knew two kids in high school that drank too much and died on their own vomit. What exactly is the point of this thread?

I'm not impressed by how much a person is able to drink. (I drink a beer every day, 7 days a week.) But I don't drink for the explicity purpose of getting jacked up. If someone does that, its sad.

Alcoholism runs in my family, so I typically try to steer away from it as best I can. I admit though that I will have the occasional glass of Guinness if I'm out eating with a group of friends and the place just happens to carry it... which isn't that often. It's rare for restaurants to carry it anyway. The main thing is that I can not enjoy a thin, light, watered down beer.

I'd say maybe a pint a month, if that.

NeoDevin said:
My best estimate based on what people told me afterwards, was that I had about 2 liters (that's about half a gallon for you Americans) of Vodka in one night, as well as about 2/3 of a bottle of wine. Best part is I felt fine the next day.

I threw a bunch of it up, which is probably the only reason I never ended up in the hospital.

I would be rather surprised to believe you drank 2 litre of vodka and lived to tell the tale.
That is 40 units + 6 for the wine. The same as 23 pints of beer.
Most I have ever managed is about 10 pints spread over the whole day but that gives your body time to metabolise some of the alcohol, the time scale makes a difference.
Over 20 units is usually enough to surpress respiration ie stop you breathing.
I guess you could manage it is you are pretty heavy, 20 stone+.
You would feel fine the next day because basically you would still be drunk, well over the drink driving limit.

Only just read the bit about throwing up, that's probalby why you are alive to tell the tale. They don't tell you alcohol is poison in the advertisements but your body knows, fortunately (usually). Drinking large amounts of alcohol is nothing to be 'proud' of, it screws up every organ in your body. you would not ask anyone what is the largest amount of rat poisen they have ever consumed. Alcohol is far more dangerous than smoking.
There is something highly ironic about banning smoking in bars, if you were to ban anything on health ground in bars based upon the number of years of life lost it would be alcohol, not smoking, furthermore alcohol also causes dependancy, unlike smoking.
Alcohol can kill you in the short term unlike smoking and it's long term effects are worse.
Not that I don't drink.

esbo said:
There is something highly ironic about banning smoking in bars, if you were to ban anything on health ground in bars based upon the number of years of life lost it would be alcohol, not smoking,
The reason is that a person drinking isn't going to affect the health of the people around them, whereas smoking will.

Some 25 years after the event, I still can not even look at a bottle of Southern Comfort. It was really,{godipromiseifyouletmeliveiwillneverdrinkagain} very bad. I will only have a drink or two anymore, mostly a beer and a burger.

Ha, my ancestry makes gives me an advantage. 1/4 German (possibly Luxembourgian), 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 French(or so), and like some British Irish in there too.

hypatia said:
It was really,{godipromiseifyouletmeliveiwillneverdrinkagain} very bad.
:rofl: Yep, fortunately those of us who live through it usually learn from our mistakes and don't EVER do that again.

binzing said:
Ha, my ancestry makes gives me an advantage. 1/4 German (possibly Luxembourgian), 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 French(or so), and like some British Irish in there too.

From your nickname, all along I've assumed you were Asian. :biggrin:

I thought he was a Booznian.

Ha, ha, ha ha. Thats good. Anyways, no, I'm about as white as you can get (by ancestry, not skin, New Mexico sun makes even white kids look fairly brown.

esbo said:
Drinking large amounts of alcohol is nothing to be 'proud' of

Never said I was proud of it, I was a little younger, and a little stupider. You won't catch me doing anything like that anymore. Usually I stop after a few beers now.

NeoDevin said:
Never said I was proud of it, I was a little younger, and a little stupider. You won't catch me doing anything like that anymore. Usually I stop after a few beers now.

No I didn't mean you in particular, just refereing to the title of the thread, which could
be interpretated as some kind of bragging competition. As it happens I probably have drank
and still do drink more than most, but it is not something I am proud of.

Booze can get you one heck of a load of trouble, even years after an event, it brings the bad out of people, even after 20 years have passed of being a model citizen, restrictions still apply.

esbo said:
I would be rather surprised to believe you drank 2 litre of vodka and lived to tell the tale.
That is 40 units + 6 for the wine. The same as 23 pints of beer.
Most I have ever managed is about 10 pints spread over the whole day but that gives your body time to metabolise some of the alcohol, the time scale makes a difference.
Over 20 units is usually enough to surpress respiration ie stop you breathing.
I guess you could manage it is you are pretty heavy, 20 stone+.
You would feel fine the next day because basically you would still be drunk, well over the drink driving limit.

Only just read the bit about throwing up, that's probalby why you are alive to tell the tale. They don't tell you alcohol is poison in the advertisements but your body knows, fortunately (usually). Drinking large amounts of alcohol is nothing to be 'proud' of, it screws up every organ in your body. you would not ask anyone what is the largest amount of rat poisen they have ever consumed. Alcohol is far more dangerous than smoking.
There is something highly ironic about banning smoking in bars, if you were to ban anything on health ground in bars based upon the number of years of life lost it would be alcohol, not smoking, furthermore alcohol also causes dependancy, unlike smoking.
Alcohol can kill you in the short term unlike smoking and it's long term effects are worse.
Not that I don't drink.

You'd be surprised how much some people can drink. I've seen some dudes kill a whole 30 pack plus more by themselves in a day. It all depends on how fast you drink 23 pints of beer. It could easily be done over the course of 12 hours. Here is a video of a guy doing 50 shots at the bar over the course of a few hours:

(granted it's peach schnopps, but it is still a ridiculous amount of alcohol)
I read once that in Japan it is socially acceptable for business men to go out after work and get totally bombed with each other. People of Asian decent have a much higher chance of being much more sensitive to alcohol, so in Japan they lose tons and tons of work days from people calling in sick with a hangover.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes everyones alcohol tolerance is different. I know some people that can easily do 20 pints in a session and more if they want. Thats not just during a whole day, that is one night out. :eek:

Its quite incredible to watch.

3 bottles of wine 14% 225/2.25 cl/l of wine. Or beer wise 13 pints of Stella, that's beer 5.3% I think. Alot. My friend did 28 pints once but he's strangely able to keep going above and beyond the normal person. Plus at one time he was on a bottle of gin a day, but he grew out of that or whatever. Now he just drinks at weekends. Saturdays only.

Stella Artois is 5.2%.

Kurdt said:
Stella Artois is 5.2%.

It changes periodically it used to be 5.3% at that time about 15 years ago it was 5.3% IIRC.

<h2>1. What is considered a dangerous amount of alcohol to consume in one day?</h2><p>The amount of alcohol that is considered dangerous to consume in one day varies depending on factors such as weight, age, and overall health. However, generally speaking, consuming more than four drinks in one day for men and three drinks for women is considered excessive and can lead to negative health consequences.</p><h2>2. Can drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day lead to alcohol poisoning?</h2><p>Yes, consuming a large amount of alcohol in one day can lead to alcohol poisoning. This occurs when the body's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) rises to a dangerously high level, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, seizures, and loss of consciousness. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you or someone you know may have alcohol poisoning.</p><h2>3. What are the short-term effects of drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day?</h2><p>The short-term effects of drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day can include impaired judgment, motor coordination, and reaction time, as well as nausea, vomiting, and loss of consciousness. These effects can increase the risk of accidents, injuries, and alcohol-related incidents.</p><h2>4. Is it possible to develop a tolerance to alcohol and drink more in one day without feeling the effects?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible to develop a tolerance to alcohol, which means that the body becomes used to the effects of alcohol and requires larger amounts to feel the same effects. However, even if a person does not feel the effects of alcohol, their BAC may still be dangerously high, putting them at risk for alcohol poisoning and other negative consequences.</p><h2>5. Can drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day have long-term effects on health?</h2><p>Yes, drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day can have long-term effects on health. Repeated episodes of excessive drinking can lead to liver damage, heart disease, and other serious health conditions. It is important to drink alcohol in moderation and stay within recommended guidelines to maintain good health in the long term.</p>

1. What is considered a dangerous amount of alcohol to consume in one day?

The amount of alcohol that is considered dangerous to consume in one day varies depending on factors such as weight, age, and overall health. However, generally speaking, consuming more than four drinks in one day for men and three drinks for women is considered excessive and can lead to negative health consequences.

2. Can drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day lead to alcohol poisoning?

Yes, consuming a large amount of alcohol in one day can lead to alcohol poisoning. This occurs when the body's blood alcohol concentration (BAC) rises to a dangerously high level, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, seizures, and loss of consciousness. It is important to seek medical attention immediately if you or someone you know may have alcohol poisoning.

3. What are the short-term effects of drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day?

The short-term effects of drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day can include impaired judgment, motor coordination, and reaction time, as well as nausea, vomiting, and loss of consciousness. These effects can increase the risk of accidents, injuries, and alcohol-related incidents.

4. Is it possible to develop a tolerance to alcohol and drink more in one day without feeling the effects?

Yes, it is possible to develop a tolerance to alcohol, which means that the body becomes used to the effects of alcohol and requires larger amounts to feel the same effects. However, even if a person does not feel the effects of alcohol, their BAC may still be dangerously high, putting them at risk for alcohol poisoning and other negative consequences.

5. Can drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day have long-term effects on health?

Yes, drinking a large amount of alcohol in one day can have long-term effects on health. Repeated episodes of excessive drinking can lead to liver damage, heart disease, and other serious health conditions. It is important to drink alcohol in moderation and stay within recommended guidelines to maintain good health in the long term.