Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the most commonly used scale of sharpness?

1. Jan 25, 2004 #1
    What is the most commonly used scale of sharpness? Does anyone know a webpage with examples of the comparitive sharpness of various things?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2004 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Sharp as in like a knife? I've never heard of one, but I'd imagine the best way to compare would be by the width of the edge.

4. Jan 27, 2004 #3
    Re: Sharpness

This is an interesting question.
    As the width of the leading-edge would determine a degree of sharpness(as russ keenly pointed-out), I would imagine that the factor of edge-hardness or application durability would likewise be a key factor.
    Given that, I would suppose that sharpness is relative.
    For example, a "sharp knife" is only "sharp" if it cuts that which it contacts; in this sense of the term.
    So, a "knife" which has a much finer leading-edge width but far less durability might well do little "cutting" and perhaps not even go through a stick of butter. Would this not be considered "less sharp"?
    Just my thoughts.

5. Jan 28, 2004 #4
    Re: Re: Sharpness

:P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?