What is the Most Dangerous Chemical?

• Thread starter Emmanuel_Euler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary: PMC2735973/In summary, DNA is a poisonous chemical that can cause drastic environmental changes. It is a necessary compound for life, but can be deadly if mishandled.
Mark Harder said:
Ahhh Wikipedia enlightens. The dastardly effects include making coffee and wine taste like treated fiberboard?
:-) and that at concentrations in the ng/l range.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I agree with DNA. Without DNA there is no danger and no death.

Hydrogen cyanide is the most dangerous chemical.Cyanide kills by binding to the iron in our blood cells and choking them off, removing their ability to transfer oxygen throughout the body.

msarts said:
Hydrogen cyanide is the most dangerous chemical.Cyanide kills by binding to the iron in our blood cells and choking them off, removing their ability to transfer oxygen throughout the body.
You're describing carbon monoxide, which binds to iron found in the heme groups in hemoglobin, shutting down oxygen transport. Cyanide binds to iron in the heme groups in cytochrome c oxidase, which is found in mitochondria and is responsible for cellular respiration. In fact, cyanide is really useful in certain biochemistry experiments where you need to shut down cellular respiration to examine an oxygen-sensitive process.

DMT. Trust me on this one.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
I really hope terrorists do not come across this forum.

Likes PWiz
You mean 'politicians'?

Likes David Carroll
I do agree that the parameters of the question are poorly defined, but I'll still throw out a few of the most dangerous things that I've had to work with.

Trifluoromethanesulfonic acid (Triflic Acid): pKa around the -13 range, nasty stuff.
Fluoroantimonic acid: The most potent superacid known, pKa around the -25 range. This stuff is ridiculously dangerous.
Dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO): Anything that penetrates the skin so easily deserves a mention.

...and pyridine! Well, pyridine is mostly dangerous to your nose. But, like others have said, the question is too vague.

Kekule said:
Fluoroantimonic acid: The most potent superacid known, pKa around the -25 range. This stuff is ridiculously dangerous.
It burns through just about everything, except teflon, right? Can you describe the extra laboratory precautions that you had to take when handling that stuff ? And (if you are at liberty to) what you used it for ?

certainly said:
It burns through just about everything, except teflon, right? Can you describe the extra laboratory precautions that you had to take when handling that stuff ? And (if you are at liberty to) what you used it for ?

Yes, it is contained in Teflon. You make it fresh if you're planning on using it, because good luck storing it with any success. And of course, it instantly reacts with even the slightest amount of moisture in the air. So you have to use a glove box, but you also grab some extended tongs so that you don't have to come into contact with it at all. Here is some discussion about it you might find interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fluoroantimonic_acid#1016_or_1019.3F

It is very, very nasty stuff. When I used it, it was for reactions related to alkane metathesis (yes, alkane and not alkene). I'd prefer to never come near the stuff again.

Likes certainly
nightingale said:
I would say Sodium Cyanide (NaCN).
Sodium cyanide is actually quite safe to use as long as it is used properly with the proper PPE.

Botulinum toxin, one of only two substances (the other being the narcotic angel dust) that is lethal in nanogram levels.About 80kg is enough to kill about 8 billion people.Of course the most dangerous substance you are likely to encounter in the workplace is hydrofluoric acid. It is highly corrosive, will dissolve glass, seep into your skin, burn through to the flesh below before you would even feel it and dissolve your bones. It is also acutely toxic and will damage your internal organs and it only takes a fist sized spill on your skin at 10% concentration to be deadly.

Last edited:
Mad scientist said:
Sodium cyanide is actually quite safe to use as long as it is used properly with the proper PPE.

Very true. I used to handle sodium cyanide fairly often. Gloves(long ones), lab coat, respirator, and a steady hand. And best not to drop it in acid outside a glove box.That's how California used to execute human beings. For that matter, don't mix vinegar, often used to clean windows, and "clorox".

Botulinum toxin is a good candidate as per Mad scientist. But as someone mentioned, the parameters matter. I had injections of the stuff to mitigate some inherited wrinkles.
Other than a tendency to go into convulsions there were no side effects. :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
A lot of people die from H2O :smile:
That was what SteamKing said in post number 5.

Carbon dioxide kills a lot of people too.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
Thank you all for help .i have a question about this=
http://beforeitsnews.com/alternative/2013/01/top-10-most-deadly-poisons-known-to-mankind-2526172.html
i will ask it later...

Dimethylcadmium

Emmanuel_Euler said:
what is the Most Dangerous Chemical or poison in the world?

Why not now consult the Merk Index for all the chemicals suggested and find the one with the most lethal dose. I think it's called LD50 or something like that. Tally the results and then write a nice summary quantifying (like Chemists do) the results from least to most. I suggest finding the top 10 quantifiable most toxic man-made compounds (or 10 of the most . . .) to get practice doing real chemistry. Also if you don't mind, kindly explain why chemically, what chemically, causes these substances to be so toxic.

For example, purines and pyrimidines are extremely toxic because they have similar structures to DNA and thus have the capability of interfering with DNA replication. Is this group of compounds in a list of "most toxic"?

Last edited:
Likes Emmanuel_Euler
<h2>What is the Most Dangerous Chemical?</h2><p>The most dangerous chemical is subjective and can vary depending on various factors such as its intended use, concentration, and exposure. However, some of the most commonly known dangerous chemicals include hydrogen cyanide, sulfuric acid, and chlorine gas.</p><h2>What makes a chemical dangerous?</h2><p>A chemical can be considered dangerous if it has the potential to cause harm to humans, animals, or the environment. This can include properties such as being toxic, corrosive, flammable, or reactive.</p><h2>How can a chemical be classified as dangerous?</h2><p>Chemicals are classified as dangerous based on their properties and potential hazards. This classification is determined by regulatory agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).</p><h2>What are the health effects of exposure to dangerous chemicals?</h2><p>The health effects of exposure to dangerous chemicals can vary depending on the chemical and the level of exposure. Some common health effects include skin irritation, respiratory problems, organ damage, and even death.</p><h2>How can we protect ourselves from dangerous chemicals?</h2><p>To protect ourselves from dangerous chemicals, it is important to follow safety protocols and precautions when handling them. This can include wearing personal protective equipment, using proper ventilation, and following proper storage and disposal procedures.</p>

What is the Most Dangerous Chemical?

The most dangerous chemical is subjective and can vary depending on various factors such as its intended use, concentration, and exposure. However, some of the most commonly known dangerous chemicals include hydrogen cyanide, sulfuric acid, and chlorine gas.

What makes a chemical dangerous?

A chemical can be considered dangerous if it has the potential to cause harm to humans, animals, or the environment. This can include properties such as being toxic, corrosive, flammable, or reactive.

How can a chemical be classified as dangerous?

Chemicals are classified as dangerous based on their properties and potential hazards. This classification is determined by regulatory agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).

What are the health effects of exposure to dangerous chemicals?

The health effects of exposure to dangerous chemicals can vary depending on the chemical and the level of exposure. Some common health effects include skin irritation, respiratory problems, organ damage, and even death.

How can we protect ourselves from dangerous chemicals?

To protect ourselves from dangerous chemicals, it is important to follow safety protocols and precautions when handling them. This can include wearing personal protective equipment, using proper ventilation, and following proper storage and disposal procedures.