What is the most popular social media? Poll

In summary, the conversation revolved around a poll asking about various social media accounts, with multiple votes allowed. The participants shared their own usage of different platforms and their opinions on what qualifies as social media. One person expressed interest in knowing the total number of votes, but it was not possible to retrieve that data publicly. The conversation also touched on the criteria for considering a messaging app as social media. Overall, the most commonly used social media platforms among the participants were LinkedIn, Physics Forums, and YouTube, while Facebook and Twitter were used less frequently.

What social media do you have?

• Total voters
ISamson
Gold Member
Please vote what social media accounts you have and use in my poll. I was always interested in what social media is the most popular, and want to experiment in the small community of PF.
You can choose multiple from:
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Whatsapp, Youtube, Google+, Pinterest, Tumblr, Linkedin, Wechat, Messenger, Reddit, Flickr.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
I have a facebook page but I don't really use it. Don't use any of the others. LinkedIn seems like a worthwhile commitment.

Not sure what precisely qualifies as social media here, either.

It would be intersting to know how many people voted in total since multiple votes are possible.
Is that data possible to retrieve, or is it lost?

Likes ISamson
I use Facebook very lightly, a few times per month. It’s usually for reading. I post very seldom.

I occasionally post hobby-related videos to YouTube. I don’t make any effort to maintain a “community” around them.

Likes ISamson
I voted for three: youtube, whatsapp and PF. I don't know whether I use youtube like a social media, since I mostly use it for lectures. Whatsapp is there on my phone, but I hardly open it, maybe once in a week, if needed. But I visit PF everyday. So that qualifies as a social media.

Likes ISamson
Well, well. Very interesting and valuable results in the poll. I was hoping for quite a few votes, very good results.
I voted for Whatsapp, which I use very often on a daily basis to text friends about school work.
Snapchat, well, I have it for the same thing: to text friends, but I find that it is very uncomfortable compared to Whatsapp, for example.
Instagram, I have an account, however I even recently deleted it, as I want to stop myself from using it, as it is extremely distracting and often stupid.
And, of course, PF.
nuuskur said:
Not sure what precisely qualifies as social media here, either.
Pretty much anything social, that you get connected to other people with, well, excluding SMS.
BillTre said:
It would be intersting to know how many people voted in total since multiple votes are possible.
I am not sure how that would be possible. Do you, by any chance? Why do you want to know how many people voted in total?

BillTre said:
If you check the "Add poll" option on the thread creation page, there is no option to display the total number of votes. Maybe that is recorded by the software, but there is no way to display that publicly. But if you want, you can calculate that from the percentage, shown beside each option. Till now, about 9 people have voted, if I am not wrong with my calculations.

ISamson said:
I voted for Whatsapp, which I use very often on a daily basis to text friends about school work.
Snapchat, well, I have it for the same thing: to text friends, but I find that it is very uncomfortable compared to Whatsapp, for example.
Instagram, I have an account, however I even recently deleted it, as I want to stop myself from using it, as it is extremely distracting and often stupid.
And, of course, PF.

Pretty much anything social, that you get connected to other people with, well, excluding SMS.
Maybe its grey, but I don't understand your criteria. What makes a messaging app "social media" and SMS not? I wouldn't have included either.

To me, what makes the social in social media is that other users can find you and view your public profile and posts.

Also, isn't "messenger" facebook or is there a 3rd party app with that name?

Likes symbolipoint
The social media platforms I use most frequently are LinkedIn (for networking purposes) and Physics Forums (obviously! ;))

I also occasionally peruse Reddit for interesting sub-forums on science, technology, food/drink/travel, and occasional other miscellaneous topics. Facebook I use rarely and mainly just to send messages to friends and distant family members. I technically have a Twitter account, but I didn't vote for it since I don't actually ever Tweet (aka post anything on Twitter) -- I use Twitter strictly as a news feed.

I did vote for YouTube because I do watch YouTube clips about science, technology, news, film and book reviews, food & travel, and other miscellaneous topics (I consider YouTube to be similar to Netflix as an alternative to TV watching, which I have long since stopped watching years ago).

Likes ISamson
BillTre said:
This data can currently be deduced from the number of votes for a particular item and the percentage given next to that number.

ISamson said:
I am not sure how that would be possible. Do you, by any chance? Why do you want to know how many people voted in total?
Ygggdrasil said:
This data can currently be deduced from the number of votes for a particular item and the percentage given next to that number.

What I am interested in is the total number of people voting on the survey, not on individual items.
This would then indicate the percentage of people responding to the total survey that used some particular item.

BillTre said:
This would then indicate the percentage of people responding to the total survey that used some particular item.
That information is already given as the percentage on the right. For example, at the moment, 10 people have voted for PhysicsForums, which corresponds to 83.3% of the total. This implies that 12 people total have voted, including two who seemingly do not use PhysicsForums.

Likes russ_watters
OK Great!

I would not count physicsforoums as a kind of "social media". I would firmly classify it as a scientific and technical discussion forum.

I would not count Youtube as any kind of "social media". I would basically classify it as a video presentation medium; but maybe Youtube has some flexible uses.

Likes ZeGato
Awesome forum!

1. What is the most popular social media platform?

The most popular social media platform is Facebook, with over 2.8 billion active users as of 2021. It is followed by YouTube, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and Instagram.

2. How is the popularity of social media measured?

The popularity of social media is measured by the number of active users, engagement levels, and market share. Other factors such as time spent on the platform and user demographics are also considered.

3. Is social media usage consistent across all age groups?

No, social media usage varies across different age groups. For example, younger generations tend to use platforms like Instagram and TikTok more, while older generations prefer Facebook and LinkedIn.

4. Are there any regional differences in social media usage?

Yes, social media usage can vary significantly across different regions and countries. For example, while Facebook is the most popular platform globally, in China, platforms like WeChat and QQ have a higher user base.

5. How does social media popularity impact businesses and marketing?

Social media has a significant impact on businesses and marketing, as it allows for direct communication with potential customers and a wider reach. Popular social media platforms can also serve as advertising platforms for businesses to target specific demographics and increase brand awareness.