Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the most powerful acid known?

1. Mar 7, 2005 #1
    What is the most powerful acid known? :bugeye:
    :devil:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Normally" the perchloric & the permanganic ones have the largest first acid constant.However,IIRC there are some "exotic" ones (involving metals in complex combinations) which would have at least the same characteristics.

Do a google search.I'm sure u'll find out something valid.

Daniel.

EDIT:(personal remark) I would be really amazed,if someone proved me that the sulphuric one is not the most corrosive,ergo the most dangerous...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  4. Mar 8, 2005 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

5. Mar 8, 2005 #4
    Isnt anti-flouric acid more potent than sulfuric acid?

Im not too sure, But i remember reading this somewhere though......

6. Mar 8, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's "anti-fluoric"...?:bugeye:

Daniel.

P.S.Which means:"what's the formula...?"

7. Mar 8, 2005 #6

movies

Science Advisor

I thought that HSbF6 was the most powerful, but I might be wrong. It's certainly stronger than sulfuric acid.

Perhaps this is the "anti-flouric acid" referred to above? The correct name is hexafluoroantimonic acid.

8. Mar 8, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I remember about that acid...:approve: :smile: But i still would not believe it burns literally everything...

Daniel.

9. Mar 8, 2005 #8

movies

Science Advisor

A measure of the strength of an acid is not just how corrosive it is, but the availability of the proton associated with it. HF will eat away glass in short order, but in terms of acidity, it is far less acidic than HCl.

10. Mar 8, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was referring to corrosive acids.U missunderstood me.I'm still waiting for an answer (not necessarily from u) to the question i posted...Is there any more dangerous/corrosive acid than the highly concentrated sulphuric acid...?I mean with a stable molecule...

Daniel.

11. Mar 8, 2005 #10
    Technically, a proton accelerated using a particle accelerator.

12. Mar 9, 2005 #11

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Ever seen Alien? :wink:

13. Mar 9, 2005 #12

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

All parts,though the thing you're implying is in the first.Those stuffs were faked big time.I still trust [itex] H_{2}SO_{4} [/itex] to be the "burning king"...

Daniel.

14. Mar 9, 2005 #13

movies

Science Advisor

HF is almost certainly more toxic than H2SO4 though, but it's not because of the acidity, it's because of the F-. Also, nitric acid is in some ways more reactive because it is a better oxidizer than sulfuric.

I'm just saying that it's not as simple as saying "this compound is acidic, so it's will cause nasty burns."

15. Mar 10, 2005 #14
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?