What is the most powerful acid known?

• Thread starter TheoryMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
In summary, the most powerful acid known is the sulphuric acid. It is the most corrosive and the most dangerous.
TheoryMan
What is the most powerful acid known? :bugeye:
:devil:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"Normally" the perchloric & the permanganic ones have the largest first acid constant.However,IIRC there are some "exotic" ones (involving metals in complex combinations) which would have at least the same characteristics.

Do a google search.I'm sure u'll find out something valid.

Daniel.

EDIT:(personal remark) I would be really amazed,if someone proved me that the sulphuric one is not the most corrosive,ergo the most dangerous...

Last edited:
Isnt anti-flouric acid more potent than sulfuric acid?

Im not too sure, But i remember reading this somewhere though...

What's "anti-fluoric"...?:bugeye:

Daniel.

P.S.Which means:"what's the formula...?"

I thought that HSbF6 was the most powerful, but I might be wrong. It's certainly stronger than sulfuric acid.

Perhaps this is the "anti-flouric acid" referred to above? The correct name is hexafluoroantimonic acid.

I remember about that acid...:approve: :smile: But i still would not believe it burns literally everything...

Daniel.

A measure of the strength of an acid is not just how corrosive it is, but the availability of the proton associated with it. HF will eat away glass in short order, but in terms of acidity, it is far less acidic than HCl.

I was referring to corrosive acids.U missunderstood me.I'm still waiting for an answer (not necessarily from u) to the question i posted...Is there any more dangerous/corrosive acid than the highly concentrated sulphuric acid...?I mean with a stable molecule...

Daniel.

Technically, a proton accelerated using a particle accelerator.

dextercioby said:
I was referring to corrosive acids.U missunderstood me.I'm still waiting for an answer (not necessarily from u) to the question i posted...Is there any more dangerous/corrosive acid than the highly concentrated sulphuric acid...?I mean with a stable molecule...

Ever seen Alien? :wink:

All parts,though the thing you're implying is in the first.Those stuffs were faked big time.I still trust [itex] H_{2}SO_{4} [/itex] to be the "burning king"...

Daniel.

HF is almost certainly more toxic than H2SO4 though, but it's not because of the acidity, it's because of the F-. Also, nitric acid is in some ways more reactive because it is a better oxidizer than sulfuric.

I'm just saying that it's not as simple as saying "this compound is acidic, so it's will cause nasty burns."

Check out:
http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/feature_ent.html?DOC=enthusiasts%5Cent_superacid.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the most powerful acid known?

The most powerful acid known is called fluorosulfuric acid, also known as magic acid. It has a chemical formula of HSO3F and is a superacid, meaning it is stronger than 100% sulfuric acid.

2. How does fluorosulfuric acid compare to other strong acids?

Fluorosulfuric acid is significantly stronger than other strong acids, such as hydrochloric acid and nitric acid. It has a higher acidity level and can protonate molecules that other acids cannot.

3. What makes fluorosulfuric acid so powerful?

Fluorosulfuric acid is considered powerful because it has a very strong bond between the fluorine and sulfur atoms. This bond makes it difficult for the acid to dissociate, allowing it to protonate molecules more easily.

4. What are the uses of fluorosulfuric acid?

Fluorosulfuric acid has various industrial uses, such as in the production of organic compounds and as a catalyst in chemical reactions. It is also used in the production of petrochemicals and in the semiconductor industry.

5. Is fluorosulfuric acid safe to handle?

No, fluorosulfuric acid is extremely corrosive and can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin. It also releases toxic and corrosive fumes when exposed to air. Proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear, should always be taken when handling this acid.