What is the most trouble you have ever got into?

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
In summary: It turned out that the only one of us who had a driver's license was the driver and the other two of us were just holding the car keys.In summary, a detention for not handing in homework on time leads to doing the homework in the detention.
hbk4894
for me - a detention for not handing in homework on time and i was forced to do the homework in the detention. for me - a detention for not handing in homework on time and i was forced to do the homework in the detention.

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't want to know. Let's just say that I have a multiple criminal record. (Never prison time and never any theft or violence, though.)

hbk4894 said:
for me - a detention for not handing in homework on time and i was forced to do the homework in the detention. for me - a detention for not handing in homework on time and i was forced to do the homework in the detention.

Now just 98 more times and your punishment is over.

For me--10 hours of community service for trespassing on school property (skateboarding outside the building). I can't imagine how my life would have turned out if I wasn't set straight at such a tender age.

Tobias Funke said:
trespassing on school property (skateboarding outside the building)
I can't fathom how such charges even exist. When I was a kid, and still in my area, schoolyards were the local playgrounds, open 24/7 (well, private during school recess periods). They're even better than designated playgrounds because they also have baseball diamonds and football/soccer/cricket/lacrosse fields. Here, though, you do actually have to book time for organized sports to avoid conflict between leagues who show up at the same time.

Likes Medicol
Danger said:
I can't fathom how such charges even exist. When I was a kid, and still in my area, schoolyards were the local playgrounds, open 24/7 (well, private during school recess periods). They're even better than designated playgrounds because they also have baseball diamonds and football/soccer/cricket/lacrosse fields. Here, though, you do actually have to book time for organized sports to avoid conflict between leagues who show up at the same time.

Probably fear of lawsuits, although the real problem is the lawsuits and a broken health care system, not skateboarders. Also, minor damage to public property, but probably no more expensive than routine playground maintenance (and I wasn't even good enough to do any damage). The judge didn't seem to appreciate having his time wasted on such a minor thing, and cities started catching on and building skateparks for the kids.

Likes RonL and Medicol
Tobias Funke said:
Probably fear of lawsuits
Yeah, Yanks have to have the most litigious society that has ever existed on this planet.

Tobias Funke said:
I wasn't even good enough to do any damage
:oldlaugh:

Likes Medicol
hbk4894 said:
LMAO, exactly! I have a feel for anyone being forced to do so, no more freedom, unable to go home early :( . When I was small, I'd feel more ashamed if many people stood outside the room pretending to not know what I was suffering but actually they did. I caught their looks from time to time and they turned away immediately whenever I saw them looking.

Likes RonL
I never had detention as the school teachers always liked me. I guess normal fights (from when I was a kid) are the worst of it really.

I just hope I won't get in major future trouble by deciding to go for a phD. Those 70 hour work weeks really would break my spirit I think

Tobias Funke said:
Probably fear of lawsuits, although the real problem is the lawsuits and a broken health care system, not skateboarders. Also, minor damage to public property, but probably no more expensive than routine playground maintenance (and I wasn't even good enough to do any damage). The judge didn't seem to appreciate having his time wasted on such a minor thing, and cities started catching on and building skateparks for the kids.

This is ridiculous. Seriously, they decided to report you to the police? lol only in America.

Nikitin said:
...Those 70 hour work weeks really would break my spirit I think...
But by the time you graduate from your grad school, you will have been well informed about the specific technology involved in your research and able to earn lots of respects from surroundings (maybe :D ).

Well, the most trouble I've been in with law enforcement was when a friend ran away and I went with her because she shouldn't have gone alone. We were not arrested but we were "brought in for questioning".

When I was a kid my brothers and I would test how far we could get into a nearby Air Force base before being run off my MPs - they never caught us, we used the storm drain system to escape :p!

But probably the closest I've been to being in actual trouble was while hitch-hiking with two friends (all of us female). A true creeper picked us up and, erm, it was scary. Luckily he was insane enough to be easy to escape from.

Trouble, what's trouble?

My most recent engagement with law enforcement in their line of duty was in 1977 in Lake City, SC when I got a speeding ticket in my 1973 911E Targa. I didn't deserve this one but I accepted it with good graces.

Real trouble may have been taking too much authority to press on ahead with reactor plant testing and then discovering an unrelated fault and having to answer for how I got there. I was yanked for re-qual which was more peer punishment than personal, for leaving the watchbill short.

Trouble that became an disaster-avoided (i.e., an adventure), was switching to temporary cooling from main cooling with vessel head bolts loosened atmospheric pressure and 50F to saturation, and the temporary cooling system wouldn't cool - for an operator confusing adjacent valves.

There is trouble with the law and there is real trouble. :bow:
Lost a "code word" something on watch in the Navy that enabled access to the entire US secure fleet radio broadcast. I knew it was in the room somewhere but the 'three letter' powers above were just about to start a investigation (A nasty kind of trouble) and put out a possible compromise message to the world when I found it stuck to the back of a clipboard.

Nikitin said:
This is ridiculous. Seriously, they decided to report you to the police? lol only in America.

This was a polite cuffing and an hour or two in my own cell at the station until they contacted my parents. American police routinely get much more ridiculous, as I'm sure the rest of the world has been reminded of recently.

At school: I'd accumulated 16 detentions for various reasons without serving any of them. Students were supposed to be suspended when they accumulated 10 detentions. I plea bargained our assistant principal down to 2 detentions, which I actually did serve and all were happy.

With the law: Never. In fact, I married the daughter of a policeman and he did a complete investigation of my history. It was kind of like that Ben Stiller/Robert DeNiro movie, except without the lie detector - plus, I never milked a cat.

In general: My brother and I were hitchhiking from Ohio to Louisiana and were picked up by a couple of escaped convicts. First thing they did after escaping was to rob a gas station, taking the owner's car, his stereo, and his guns! Then they picked us up and stole our luggage at gun point. Worst of all, we'd spent the day in Kentucky, where there's no cigarette tax, and stocked up on cartons of cigarettes - all of which were stored in our bags. I don't know how long those guys stayed free before getting caught by police, but they probably chain smoked the whole time.

Actually, that reminds me I did get into trouble with the law once - on that same trip. Except it wasn't me that was the cause of the trouble - at least not primarily. It's illegal to hitch hike right down on the highway. You have to hitch hike from the top of the entrance ramp. Being that we had been dropped off at a particularly bad exit for getting a ride, we kind of had to resort to going right down to the highway to hitch hike and, sure enough, got a talking to from a highway patrolman. After a discussion between me and the highway patrolman, we agreed that my brother and I would move up to the top of the ramp and comply with the law no matter how long it took to get a ride. And then we turn around to make sure my brother understood - except he's not listening - he's standing by the road with his thumb out the whole time I was trying to keep the highway patrolman from hauling us off to town to pay a fine for illegal hitch hiking.

And I did manage to keep us out of trouble. It just took half an hour of being chewed out and convincing the highway patrolman that I was trying hard to control my brother (who was pretty much uncontrollable, but whatever... )

And the time we spent waiting at the top of the ramp was why we happened to notice cigarettes were incredibly cheap in Kentucky! And why we stocked up plenty of cigarettes in our baggage just in case we were robbed at gun point by escaped convicts desperate for a smoke - or 500.

Likes lisab and RonL
My most memorable experience is when I once tried to hang myself against the wall thinking someone would come help me down (Genie on the wall).
:DD

I once hung myself from a fence by the skin between my index finger and middle finger. Fortunately, I had a couple friends with me that could get me unhooked from the fence. Otherwise, that would have been an extremely unpleasant experience (and it wasn't all that pleasant even with someone to help get me off the fence).

BobG said:
I once hung myself from a fence by the skin between my index finger and middle finger.
Chain-link, right? Been there, except in my case is was my little finger stuck between the links after I fell off the the top while scaling it on my way home from the bar at 3:00 am. o:)
I did manage to get down by myself, though, with no permanent damage.

One of the outfielders on my baseball team once landed on top of the fence with his face while going for a long fly. He was briefly hanging by his upper lip until it tore through and he dropped. We spent about 10 hours in the ER with him.

BobG said:
At school: I'd accumulated 16 detentions for various reasons without serving any of them.
I spent my first year of high school beating the crap out of the people who had bullied me all through junior high. For some reason they didn't find it as fun after that. :devil:

Likes Danger
Borg said:
I spent my first year of high school beating the crap out of the people who had bullied me all through junior high. For some reason they didn't find it as fun after that. :devil:
NOTE TO MODERATORS... I need some way to "like" something more than once...

I was banished to the Phantom Zone once. It was awful.

I can imagine! The place must be full of Kardashians... :oldruck:

1. What is the most trouble you have ever got into?

The most trouble I have ever gotten into was during my undergraduate studies when I accidentally mixed two chemicals together in the lab that caused a minor explosion. Thankfully, no one was hurt, but it resulted in a major safety violation and I had to write a detailed incident report.

2. Have you ever faced any consequences for your actions in the lab?

Yes, I have faced consequences for my actions in the lab. As a scientist, it is important to always follow safety protocols and procedures. In the incident I mentioned earlier, I received a warning from my professor and had to attend a safety training seminar.

3. How did you handle the situation when you got into trouble?

When I got into trouble, I immediately took responsibility for my actions and followed the necessary steps to address the situation. I apologized to my professor and colleagues, and made sure to be more cautious and diligent in the lab in the future.

4. What did you learn from this experience?

I learned the importance of following safety protocols and taking responsibility for my actions. I also learned the value of being cautious and meticulous in the lab, as even a small mistake can have serious consequences.

5. How do you prevent getting into trouble in your research or experiments?

To prevent getting into trouble in my research or experiments, I make sure to always double check my procedures, follow safety protocols, and seek guidance from my colleagues and mentors when needed. I also document and report any potential risks or incidents to ensure the safety of myself and others in the lab.