Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the mystery item?

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1

T@P

this item is about the size of your hand, 3d, and it is considered *normal* if a stranger walks up to you and gives you the item. You will know what to do with it, and you will give it back when you are done, despite it being worth a considerable amount (it varies). by asking me only yes/no questions, can you find out what this item is?

(no its not food)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It think I know: a hand

4. Jan 12, 2005 #3

T@P

nope if you give it to someone, i mean you are not attached to it when you do it so no :) nice try

5. Jan 12, 2005 #4
    Possibly: A box of kleenex

6. Jan 12, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Questions :

Will determining the material that this item is made of, be useful to finding out what the object is ? (eg : metallic, plastic, organic, etc.)

Will figuring out the shape of the item be useful ? What about the color, volume, and mass ?

Is there a specific reason why you chose the word 'item' rather than just object or some such alternative ?

7. Jan 12, 2005 #6
    Why are asterisks used to enclose the word 'normal'?

8. Jan 12, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not a YES/NO question...you'll have to rephrase. Here, let me do it :

Are the asterisks relevant to solving the problem ?

Could you have used 'normal' instead, without any other characters ?

9. Jan 12, 2005 #8
    Possibly: a canteen of water

10. Jan 12, 2005 #9
    Possibly: A piece of paper to be signed as an autograph (if you are a famous person
    Possibly: A petition to be signed
    Possibly: A microphone, as in a television interview (this answer fits it best I think)

11. Jan 12, 2005 #10
    Barth try asking questions. :\

Is the item accessible to everyone?

12. Jan 12, 2005 #11

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

guess->A Camera

13. Jan 12, 2005 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I have a good guess here : You are a check-out person, and people hand you their credit cards to swipe.

14. Jan 12, 2005 #13
    Alright, I'll ask my best guess as a question: Is it a microphone?

15. Jan 13, 2005 #14

does this mean it is something expensive?

i mean is the worth in terms of money?

16. Jan 13, 2005 #15

T@P

ok in answer to gokus quetions, no no and no. similarly every other question is tough to answer yes/no since the answer is maybe. NoTime got it right though, nice job

*edit* it is accesible to *almost* everyone. if you read notimes answer, you can see why many questions you ask sound ridiculous. but if you dont want to read someone elses answer and do it yourself, keep guessing :rofl:

17. Jan 13, 2005 #16
    Well if someone gave me that item I wouldnt know what to do with it. Id probably run away with it. :tongue2:

18. Jan 13, 2005 #17
    Is it:a 50% off coupon for a dinner at vinnie's fish shack on the corner of 43rd Street and Appolonia? actually I like the credit card answer, although money works as well if you consider getting change back the same as the money given only with a different value.

19. Jan 13, 2005 #18
    The problem with things like that is they are kind of 2-d. Technically no, but still.

20. Jan 14, 2005 #19
    i think it is a camera.

of course, it is perfectly normal for a stranger to come to me and ask me to take his/her/their picture. when he hands it to me, i will know what to do(take picture), and when i am done with taking their picture, i will return it to them though it is valuable(and the value of the camera varies).

p.s. i don't run away with other people's stuff.

21. Jan 14, 2005 #20
    and i forgot to add.

the camera is 3d.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?