What is the name of the device used to measure ohms?

What is the name of the device used to measure ohms? :confused:

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
With a multimeter,you can measure both tension & current,ergo determine resistence...

Daniel.

EDIT:I suspect a tool only for resistence would be called OHMMETER...

I need to be sure that it's called an ohmmeter though. I don't want to introduce to many calculations into my experiment, as it's only supposed to focus on how a wire's length, shape, mass, thickness, and material affect its resistance.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
It's not too many calculations,just a division V/I.In case you lack the ohmmeter.

[tex] R=\rho\frac{l}{S} [/tex]

Is this what you're looking for...?

Daniel.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Oh,and one more thing:I'm pretty sure that the ohmmeter used Ohm's law (!) to determine the resistance and doing that by performing the division,insted of you...:wink:

Daniel.

Ahhh...I found an ohmmeter, and yes, it does use Ohm's Law.

Thank you for your help!

Also, do you know how a wire's mass would affect its resistance? I'd assume more massive wires would be less resistant... :confused:

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
No,not directly.The ratio is (length/area) (times resistivity,see above).So mass is involved indirectly.

Daniel.

Okay. Also, why do electrons move faster and more effeciently through metals than nonmetals? What are the characteristics of a good conductor? Does it have something to do with the way the atoms or molecules of a substance are arranged?

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Of course.Internal structure is the key...Quantum Mechanics and Transport Phenomena give all the answers/explanations.

Daniel.

One more thing before I go, does the ohmmeter require electricity to be running through a wire to take its measurements, or does it test the material directly?

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, an ohmmeter must be powered.