What is the name of this?

• Thread starter Square1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a set of constraints where a = c and b = d, leading to the conclusion that a + b = c + d and ab = cd. The participants question the usefulness of these constraints and discuss their application in algebra and congruence equations. The property is known as cancellation or Leibniz law and relies on the functions of addition and multiplication.
Square1
if a = c and b = d, then a +b = c + d, and ab = cd

What do we call that? Danke.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey Square1.

I don't know any special name for those constraints: We just call it a set of constraints that tell us absolutely nothing useful.

bah but they are useful!

If a = c and b = d then a + b = c + d implies a + b = a + b which means 0 = 0. Also ab = cd implies ab = ab which implies 1 = 1 which again is useless.

Maybe it is a statement that the algebra is closed under addition and multiplication, and all elements equal themselves (self-equality). Does anyone know of an algebra where a=a is false for some a?

TGlad said:
Maybe it is a statement that the algebra is closed under addition and multiplication, and all elements equal themselves (self-equality). Does anyone know of an algebra where a=a is false for some a?

Equality is an equivalence relation; it is necessarily true that a = a for all a; and I can't really see what the statement would have to do with closure.

Well this is what allows you do claim "what you do to one side, do to the other".

I think the usefulness of it lays in the "usefullness" (sorry lol) of being able to write a = 5 on one side, and on the other side of an equation a = c = *something that has a very different looking form from 5*, for example an nasty integral, and make quick easy simplifications.

This has piqued my interest because, replacing = with a congruence shows that the property is true in congruence equations. Addition and multiplication is defined in that system.

I guess the real question is, if an operation is defined for a given system, must the operation follow the "what you do to one side must be done to the other side" rule to maintain the relation.

Well this is what allows you do claim "what you do to one side, do to the other".

No, the definition of equality allows you to do that.

it's usually just called cancellation or right cancellation if you're working iirc

Thank you all!

What is the name of this?

The name of what?

Can you tell me the name of this?

I would be happy to help, but what specifically are you referring to?

What is the name of this thing?

I'm not sure what "this thing" is. Can you provide more context or information?

What is the name of this object?

I am not able to determine the name of an object without more information. Can you describe the object or provide a picture?

Can you help me identify the name of this item?

I would be glad to assist, but I need more information about the item in question. Can you describe it or provide any details?