What is the technique called for tracing data back to a source?

• Thread starter Nerdydude101
  • Start date
In summary, in an episode of the Numb3rs series, they used math to trace droplets of water back to an origin point in order to find the source of a criminal. This technique, known as "back-trajectory analysis," is a real method used by mathematician police officers and has been developed into an application for police departments. The episode was based on a similar technique used by a mathematician police officer in Canada a few years earlier. This method is also used in other episodes of the series and has been analyzed for its realism.
Nerdydude101
I I was watching something the other day and using math they were able to trace droplets of water back to an origin point (they used that I then find the origin of a rapist but I don't know about that being realistically possible) but they didn't say what it was called that they were doing, usually they do and I look it up to learn more and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this analysis was called, tracing data back to a source. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Would it actually be possible to do what he did and track a criminal back to an origin point like that?

Yes, I think its possible and yes I think it was actually used by a mathematician police officer in Canada a few years earlier, developed into an application for poilce depts and was the basis for the episode.

This may answer your question better:

http://www.math.cornell.edu/~numb3rs/luthy/num101.html

and for other episodes:

http://www.math.cornell.edu/~numb3rs/lipa/Episodes/

Lastly, some more commentary of some episodes and how realistic the math was:

http://homepage.smc.edu/nestler_andrew/numb3rs.htm

The technique used in the scenario you described is called "source tracking" or "source identification." It involves using mathematical models and data analysis to trace the origin of a substance or event back to its source. In the case of tracing droplets of water, this could involve analyzing the chemical composition of the water and using algorithms to determine where it came from. While it may be possible to use this technique in criminal investigations, it is important to note that it would require a significant amount of data and evidence to accurately identify a specific individual as the source of the droplets.

What is the name of this?

The name of this depends on what "this" is referring to. Can you provide more context or information?

What is the name of this element/compound/organism?

The name of an element, compound, or organism can be determined by its atomic or molecular structure and characteristics. Can you provide more information or description about the element, compound, or organism in question?

What is the scientific name of this species?

The scientific name of a species is its unique two-part Latin name, consisting of its genus and species names. Can you provide more information about the species in question?

What is the name of this scientific theory/hypothesis/model?

The name of a scientific theory, hypothesis, or model is typically based on its purpose, main concept, or the scientist who proposed it. Can you provide more information about the theory, hypothesis, or model you are asking about?

What is the name of this chemical reaction/process?

The name of a chemical reaction or process is usually based on its reactants, products, or overall outcome. Can you provide more information about the reaction or process you are asking about?