1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the name of this

  1. Aug 10, 2014 #1
    I I was watching something the other day and using math they were able to trace droplets of water back to an origin point (they used that I then find the origin of a rapist but I don't know about that being realistically possible) but they didn't say what it was called that they were doing, usually they do and I look it up to learn more and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what this analysis was called, tracing data back to a source. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2014 #2


    Staff: Mentor

    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  4. Aug 10, 2014 #3
    Would it actually be possible to do what he did and track a criminal back to an origin point like that?
  5. Aug 10, 2014 #4


    Staff: Mentor

    Yes, I think its possible and yes I think it was actually used by a mathematician police officer in Canada a few years earlier, developed into an application for poilce depts and was the basis for the episode.

    This may answer your question better:


    and for other episodes:


    Lastly, some more commentary of some episodes and how realistic the math was:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook