Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the nature of the supernatural phenomena

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    What does modern science particularly theoretical physics say about witchcraft ?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

that it's bs

4. Sep 18, 2010 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mostly, it says nothing.

5. Sep 18, 2010 #4

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Countdown to locked thread...

five ...

6. Sep 18, 2010 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...four...

7. Sep 18, 2010 #6
  8. Sep 18, 2010 #7
    did anyone else laugh? 'what's the nature of the supernatural"? I died.

9. Sep 18, 2010 #8
    You mean like the witch of Agnesi? Physicists don't believe in math. Two.

10. Sep 18, 2010 #9

alt

Gold Member

Well, you got a sense of humor ..

one !

11. Sep 18, 2010 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And a cryptically prophetic username, or a supernatural one perhaps? We shall see...

...ah zero

12. Sep 18, 2010 #11
    To the op: I am enraged that you wasted this opportunity to open a decent discussion on the "nature" of "supernatural phenomena" with something as dark and perverse as witchcraft.
    Right now in our history, philosophers and scientists are beginning to talk about things of a paranormal nature and this thread title is entirely misleading bringing up only old angers that were happily sliding to the back ground in recent times.
    Witchcraft has nothing to do with paranormal as it would relate to a physics board and I think you knew that. Paranormal I hope even after this careless and perhaps antagonistic move of yours will remain up for consideration no matter how long it may take.

13. Sep 18, 2010 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

On a serious note, I'm almost completely certain that no physicist or even an amateur has used physical research methods to investigate witchcraft. I don't even think they could. As far as I understand it, even those who believe they are witches don't believe their methods are deterministically causal. That is, they offer up whatever they offer and petition some god or spirit or other to take action, but then it's that god's or spirit's decision whether or not the offering is sufficient or they feel like acting that day.

Imagine if sometimes the apple fell from the tree, and sometimes it didn't and just floated there, and the only reason was the whim of a tree god. Scientists can't investigate that.

14. Sep 18, 2010 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Closed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook