What is the net charge of the ball?

In summary, a small 3.94 g plastic ball is suspended by a 27.9 cm long string in a uniform electric field of 3400 N/C. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 and the Coulomb constant is 8.99×109 N · m2/C2. If the ball is in equilibrium at a 43.2◦ angle with the vertical, the net charge on the ball can be found by using the equations E=F/q and Fe=kq/r^2, which shows a relationship between the vertical and horizontal forces and the angle θ. This can be solved to find the net charge in units of μC.
elee123
1.A small 3.94 g plastic ball is suspended by a
27.9 cm long string in a uniform electric field
of 3400 N/C.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 , and
the Coulomb constant is 8.99×109 N · m2/C2.
If the ball is in equilibrium when the string
makes a 43.2◦ angle with the vertical as in-
dicated, what is the net charge on the ball?
Answer in units of μC.

2. E=F/q
Fe=kq/r^2

3. Well I'm kind of lost. When they ask for the net charge, I just plugged the F, found using F=mg, and electric field into the equation E=F/q. And then I used that q and plugged it into the Fe=kq/r^2 equation, and found q. I thought that was the answer, but apparently not. I don't understand how to do the problem at ALL. please help. thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Maybe make a drawing of the charged object and put all your forces acting on it in?

thanks.
I tried that. but after putting the forces in, I dunt know where to go from there.

Yeah ... but.

How might you explain the ball being at the angle described?

Isn't there an m*g force down and a E*q force horizontally?

Might that mean then that the vertical force is related to the horizontal force by some trig function of θ ?

What is the net charge of the ball?

The net charge of a ball can vary depending on the material it is made of and its surroundings. However, most objects have an equal number of positive and negative charges, resulting in a net charge of 0.

How is the net charge of the ball determined?

The net charge of a ball can be determined by measuring the number of positive and negative charges it contains. This can be done using a device called an electroscope or by performing an experiment using an electrical field.

Can the net charge of a ball change?

Yes, the net charge of a ball can change if it comes into contact with a charged object or if it is exposed to an electrical field. The amount and direction of the change will depend on the strength and nature of the charge it is exposed to.

What is the significance of the net charge of a ball?

The net charge of a ball is important in understanding its behavior in electrical fields. It can also affect how the ball interacts with other objects, such as attracting or repelling them based on their own charge.

How does the net charge of a ball relate to its electric potential?

The net charge of a ball is directly related to its electric potential, which is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another. The greater the net charge of a ball, the higher its electric potential will be.