What is the net torque on the pulley about the axle

In summary, the net torque on the pulley is 16N*m in the counterclockwise direction. The equation used to calculate torque is torque = force x radius x sine(angle), and in this case, the angle was 90 degrees and sin(90) = 1. Therefore, the torque was equal to the force times the radius. By calculating the torques of each force separately, it was determined that the net torque was 16N*m in the counterclockwise direction.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

What is the net torque on the pulley about the axle if T1 = 18N and T2 = 34N?
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/alg5045/p13-11.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Torque is really confusing me. I have no ideas as to how to start this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to have to show some work, but to "push" you along... could you get started if there were only 1 force?

I know that torque = r(Ft), but I don't know if that's the right equation to use.

I'm guessing that Ft is the force that is perpendicular to the radius. Is that what you mean? If so, that is the right equation.

To give a longer answer than you might want,
Torque = force x radius x sine of the angle between the force and the radius.
In many cases, the angle is 90 degrees (it certainly is in your picture) and sin(90) = 1, so torque = force x radius in those cases.

So, now can you calculate the two torques, ONE AT A TIME, including whether it goes clockwise (CW) or counterclockwise (CCW)?

I figured it out before looking at your last post. Thanks though!

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis or pivot point. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. What is net torque?

Net torque is the sum of all the torques acting on an object. It takes into account the direction and magnitude of each individual torque to determine the overall rotational effect on the object.

3. How is torque related to pulleys?

Pulleys use torque to transfer energy and motion from one object to another. As the rope or belt wrapped around a pulley is pulled, it creates a torque that causes the pulley to rotate and transfer this torque to the object it is connected to.

4. How is torque related to the axle of a pulley?

The axle of a pulley acts as the axis of rotation, around which the pulley and any attached objects rotate. The applied force on the pulley creates a torque around this axle, causing the pulley to rotate and transfer energy and motion.

5. How is the net torque on a pulley about the axle calculated?

The net torque on a pulley about the axle is calculated by summing up all the individual torques acting on the pulley in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. This takes into account the direction and magnitude of each torque to determine the overall rotational effect on the pulley around its axle.