Exploring the Exciting Frontiers of Modern Physics

• Thread starter sniffer
  • Start date
In summary: For aspiring physicists, the next "big thing" in physics may be nanotechnology, specifically high k dielectrics and spintronics. This field has the potential for intense development and could lead to significant monetary rewards, as it combines the application of General Relativity in semi conductor physics. By manipulating the spin of conduction electrons without using a traditional magnetic field, this technology could revolutionize information storage and lead to advancements in areas such as solar cells and nuclear fusion. Additionally, with the impending energy crisis, knowledge of these technologies could have the value of gold and be highly sought after by big production companies. However, it's important for aspiring physicists to remember that their passion for the theoretical part of natural sciences should not be driven by materialistic views
sniffer
if someone wants to starts PhD in physics from scratch, what is the sexiest research?

i mean what is the next BIG thing in physics, something that leads to both intense development and BIG money!. . .. :biggrin: :biggrin:

no body wants to be a poor physicist . what do think guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rethink your intentions before stepping into the void. Otherwise you will never see the light of day unless you are able to strip your materialistic views.
Those who choose the theoretical part of the natural sciences do not do it for the monetary award.

Sexiest? electron stripping

anyone get it?

That made my day

ok. money aside.

what is the next big thing?

I see strings that lead to a path of no return.

sniffer said:
if someone wants to starts PhD in physics from scratch, what is the sexiest research?

i mean what is the next BIG thing in physics, something that leads to both intense development and BIG money!. . .. :biggrin: :biggrin:

nanotechnology, more specifically high k dielectrics (read my journal for moe info on the phd students life in the nanotech world) and spintronics : the application of General Relativity in semi conductor physics. You know that Einstein proved that if you take two observers and one electric field, the observer that is standing still wrt the E field sees the actual E field but the moving observer sees a B field in stead of an E field.

When you want to manipulate the spin of conduction electrons, you need to apply a B field but realizing this relativity effect, you can manipulate the spin without using a B field. The moving electrons will see the electrical field as a B field and thus you can use electrical quantities to change the spin. You also know that if the B field is perpendicular to the spin direction and if it is strong enough, you can change the spins over direction 180 degrees. This technique can be used to manipulate the info stored in a certain spin-polarized sample...

Here is where i do my phd : http://www.imec.be/ and we have a prof here that has published an article in NATURE on this spintronics stuff.

marlon

Last edited:
a good website. interesting.
which country is at the moment the leader in nano-technology?
any specific institutions?

i heard about the impending oil crisis. we will soon leave our carbon economy.

maybe energy sector is going to be very the next big thing?
such as nuclear power, or revolutionary solar cells etc.
ITER? thermonuclear?

technology which are crisis-driven tend to break new grounds.

? maybe.

thanks.

hmmh... sorry. it takes me sometime to contemplate what you said in the 2nd paragraph there, marlon.

this part on your web solar cells: http://www.imec.be/ovinter/static_research/solarcells.shtml
related to what i said in previous post.

For Nusc: yes, what you said is correct. i agree in a sense that for physicist, some how we need to think in more idealistic way. often good physicist only ends up teaching. if we don't appreciate what we have, we cannot "see the light of day" as you said.

thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
sniffer said:
hmmh... sorry. it takes me sometime to contemplate what you said in the 2nd paragraph there, marlon.

this part on your web solar cells: http://www.imec.be/ovinter/static_research/solarcells.shtml
related to what i said in previous post.

what exactly do you mean ?

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot of really hot research in computational physics, particularly with condensed matter systems, out there right now. Particle physics I guess is always "sexy", but it's an extremely difficult field to break into, and a lot of the physics community has some issues with the way high energy theory is conducted right now.

Something related to the new technologies for cheaper and cleaner energy. Oil is going to run out so we need something new. If I was a genious I would go for Nuclear Fussion.

controlled fusion, biological nanoblocks

in computing, by some estimates (http://www.aeiveos.com/~bradbury/petaflops/siardmap.html) in 2014 the CPUs will have a 34 nm feature size, 19.3 Ghz internal clock, 664 million logic transistors/cm^2, 4308 million transistors per chip, 48 GB dram, and 0.5 voltage core. And by other estimates the size will shrink down to 22 nm (0.022 microns)

cronxeh said:
controlled fusion, biological nanoblocks

in computing, by some estimates (http://www.aeiveos.com/~bradbury/petaflops/siardmap.html) in 2014 the CPUs will have a 34 nm feature size, 19.3 Ghz internal clock, 664 million logic transistors/cm^2, 4308 million transistors per chip, 48 GB dram, and 0.5 voltage core. And by other estimates the size will shrink down to 22 nm (0.022 microns)

All that for Microsoft Word 2014

marlon said:
You know that Einstein proved that if you take two observers and one electric field, the observer that is standing still wrt the E field sees the actual E field but the moving observer sees a B field in stead of an E field.

Einstein proved that? I thought that arose naturally from Maxwell's study of Electromagnetic Phenomena.

Pengwuino said:
All that for Microsoft Word 2014

Yeah, but with a graphics engine that powerful behind Word we now know what the sexiest thing will be...

the worlds sexiest paperclip.

~Lyuokdea

ahahaha

Itd be 3d and would read your mind

Quantum computing and cryptography

My opinion is...

There might be a global war, when energy crisis reaches its peak. Iraq was just the beginning. Therefore knowledge of nuclear fusion technology might have value of gold.

Nanotechnology is a production process of the future. Proprietors of big production companies will pay much to those, who are able to construct the finest equipment.

f someone wants to starts PhD in physics from scratch, what is the sexiest research?

i mean what is the next BIG thing in physics, something that leads to both intense development and BIG money!. . ..

sexy...big money?...uhmm, modeling? Underwear modeling? Women find doctors extremely sexy, after all women find intelligence to be the sexiest trait, not "physics intelligence" though. You're not going to be sexy becoming a physicist. Brian Green, "intense development" "big money", not sexy

I wouldn't know much about sexiness, but in terms 'the next big thing', I'd be looking at nanotechnology, and renewable energy sources.

GCT said:
sexy...big money?...uhmm, modeling? Underwear modeling? Women find doctors extremely sexy, after all women find intelligence to be the sexiest trait, not "physics intelligence" though. You're not going to be sexy becoming a physicist. Brian Green, "intense development" "big money", not sexy

Really? I thought Stephen Hawking got all the women?

PL

Poop-Loops said:

PL

ohh that was low.

And the fuel thing, it already exists, but with these large oil corporations it would ruin our economy. :cry: so its a catch 22 situation.

Poop-Loops said:

PL
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

marlon

sniffer said:
Forget about research, you'd better to teach at university.

You need to be rich to study physics. You know physics is the interest of rich people whoentertain themselves by saying things that anyone can understand you. In fact poor people must be crazy to study physics.

PS Don't take what I said seriously. :uhh:

Shouldn't you rather go with what you're interested in? If you go with something just because it's the next big thing you'll probably never accomplish anything because you'd be lacking the drive good researchers have.

If you want money, run your own business. The average Pizza shop owner
makes much more money than the average Physicist. Think about that the
next time you are eating pizza and cramming for a hard exam.

You must go into physics only if you love doing physics and are good at it.
(This advice applies to any carrer BTW, not just physics.)

if you want to be rich, you should become a SUCCESFUL Hollywood actor or a Microsoft CEO or be like Britney Spears, Warren Buffet, George Bush, King Fahd of Saudi Arabia,

regards
marlon

marlon said:
if you want to be rich, you should become a SUCCESFUL Hollywood actor or a Microsoft CEO or be like Britney Spears, Warren Buffet, George Bush, King Fahd of Saudi Arabia,

regards
marlon

These things require more talent than studying Physics :rofl:

heman said:
These things require more talent than studying Physics :rofl:
Talent? I don't think so. First you need to be lucky, and then perhaps your talent could help you.

Lisa! said:
Talent? I don't think so.

So you are doubting the talent of guys like Gates,will smith,Britney! :biggrin:

Lisa! said:
First you need to be lucky, and then perhaps your talent could help you.

Well, that's a kind of dumb thing to say!
The prepared mind sooner or later finds something important and does it! :smile:
"Fortune favours brave"! :biggrin:

heman said:
So you are doubting the talent of guys like Gates,will smith,Britney! :biggrin:
No doubt!

Well, that's a kind of dumb thing to say!
The prepared mind sooner or later finds something important and does it! :smile:
"Fortune favours brave"! :biggrin:

Well that's difficult to explain. When I'm reading the biography of famous people, sometimes I think "what would be happen to this person if he would never meet Mr/s X" or "what would happen to him if he didn't go to that plce by mistake?". Sometimes I think he would get his present position anyway.
When I say 'Luck', my definition is different from what you think. I think you get whatever you really want and you're talent in that area, provided that you should try. Then I think what you need, come to your way.

Lisa! said:
No doubt!

Well that's difficult to explain. When I'm reading the biography of famous people, sometimes I think "what would be happen to this person if he would never meet Mr/s X" or "what would happen to him if he didn't go to that plce by mistake?". Sometimes I think he would get his present position anyway.
When I say 'Luck', my definition is different from what you think. I think you get whatever you really want and you're talent in that area, provided that you should try. Then I think what you need, come to your way.

Lisa,i didn't get exactly what you wanted to say! :confused:
What is the other definition of Luck.?
I agree with your last 2 lines,but initial ones doesn't make sense to me!

heman said:
Lisa,i didn't get exactly what you wanted to say! :confused:
What is the other definition of Luck.?
I agree with your last 2 lines,but initial ones doesn't make sense to me!
You know for example I read an interesting story about one of the famous physicists. He had decided to study something other than physics. I can't remmember what, but perhaps history. He went to the university to attend an interview for the registration, but he stood in a wrong place with people who wanted to study physics. And he was too shy to say I would want to study history to the interviewer. So he studied physics and he even had an important discovery in Nuclear physics. Now did you get what I meant by the first lines?
And about my definition about luck: you know it's a long story and I'm not in a mood to explain it now.

Lisa! said:
You know for example I read an interesting story about one of the famous physicists. He had decided to study something other than physics. I can't remmember what, but perhaps history. He went to the university to attend an interview for the registration, but he stood in a wrong place with people who wanted to study physics. And he was too shy to say I would want to study history to the interviewer. So he studied physics and he even had an important discovery in Nuclear physics. Now did you get what I meant by the first lines?
And about my definition about luck: you know it's a long story and I'm not in a mood to explain it now.

Lisa,you made a point ! :smile:

1. What is modern physics?

Modern physics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It includes topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and particle physics.

2. Why is modern physics important?

Modern physics is important because it helps us understand the universe at a deeper level and provides the foundation for many technological advancements. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of matter and energy, which has practical applications in fields such as medicine, engineering, and energy production.

3. What are some current frontiers of modern physics?

Some current frontiers of modern physics include the search for a unified theory that can explain the nature of both gravity and quantum mechanics, the study of dark matter and dark energy, and the exploration of the properties of subatomic particles such as quarks and neutrinos.

4. How is modern physics different from classical physics?

Modern physics differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics and relativity, which were not understood during the time of classical physics. It also deals with phenomena at a much smaller scale, such as the behavior of particles within atoms.

5. What are some real-world applications of modern physics?

Modern physics has many real-world applications, including the development of technologies such as lasers, transistors, and GPS systems. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as medical imaging, nuclear energy, and telecommunications.