What is the Open Problem in S.R. Pre-Determinism?

• I
  • Thread starter greswd
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

There are two sides to this argument, some believe that the framework of SR (excluding GR) implies strict, absolute pre-determinism (i.e. fate). Some believe otherwise.

This issue appears to be unresolvable.

As such, what is the open, unresolvable question that both sides of the debate revolve around?

Answers and Replies

Nugatory
Mentor
There are two sides to this argument, some believe that the framework of SR (excluding GR) implies strict, absolute pre-determinism (i.e. fate). Some believe otherwise.

This issue appears to be unresolvable.

As such, what is the open, unresolvable question that both sides of the debate revolve around?
This isn't just a relativity question - the debate started fairly shortly after Newton formulated the theory that became fully deterministic classical mechanics. It wasn't settled then for the same reason that it's still unsettled: No conceivable experiment can, even in principle, settle it.

Thus, it's a matter of philosophy not science, and as such is out of scope for Physics Forums. There's nothing wrong with the question - it just doesn't belong here so this thread is closed.

Last edited: